Thanksgiving means King Kong

Discussion in 'General' started by shape22, Nov 22, 2012.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Thanks for the good memories! I grew up with this too. WOR channel 9, channel 11 WPIX and channel 5 in that same NYC area helped shape my childhood love of horror, scifi and fantasy. I remember the 4:30 movie after school with Godzilla, Planet of the Apes week and other genre themes. I honesty forgot about Thanksgiving until you posted this. This is great! Have a great holiday!

Do you remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6uzndOmPA

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

That Chiller thing is awesome - never seen it. I will be watching football all day. However, I did purposely stay up late last night and watched Girls Nite Out. Forgot how fun that was.

Happy Thanksgiving!

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, King Kong, Son of Kong AND Mighty Joe Young? I think my 5 year old head would have exploded had such a concept been introduced to its gooey brain at the center. The only thing that could possibly hold such a fragile state together is the promise of Godzilla the next day. Genius! Those clips are awesome thank you.

I don't think that was much of a tradition here in Chicago but when cable was still young I believe they ran King Kong around that time too so a vague connection had formed for me in my youth. As a huge Kong fan I should make it more of a tradition and I'll have to watch my Blu-ray tonight. The MST3k Turkey Day was a big thing for me and my sister on Comedy Central and the Shout DVD release of Night of the Blood Beast includes all the skits they created for that marathon in 1995. I watch that version of Blood Beast last night during dinner.

Actually A Nightmare Before Christmas is usually what I want to watch right after Thanksgiving. It's a good way to transition into the stop motion Holiday specials I think.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

6. Shannafey

The movies they showed weren't as memorable as that intro. It gave me nightmares!! I so loved it I never forgot it!!

Thanks. Not familiar with Philly area, but fun to watch!

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

King Kong is always an awesome watch, but I've always made The 7th Voyage of Sinbad a Thanksgiving tradition. It played every year when I was younger and I have watched it on DVD and blu ray ever since it stopped airing. Any Willis O'Brian or Harryhousen stop motion makes for a great watch with a large meal.

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

All these links make for an awesome nostalgia trip.
    Thank you!!

9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving was never complete without Mighty Joe Young on WOR-TV (and Godzilla). Happy Thanksgiving!

So what's the tradition these days? Reality reruns? Who Kim Kardashian is screwing this week?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Today my family was discussing how we always watched King Kong and Mighty Joe Young on Thanksgiving and how we miss that tradition! Cool post and just funny how the holiday and King Kong will always be linked.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

WPIX 11 for me. Great memories. Now all I seem to associate with Thanksgiving is the Eli Roth Grindhouse faux-trailer. :(

12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

I loved WOR back then. Watching Kong and Godzilla on Thanksgiving and the day after are still a tradition for me every year.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

I got in Godzilla vs. Megalon today. I think The Giant Claw would be a good one to drop in too.

14. Shannafey

I like listening to the Alternative Cinema Podcast and they are in the NYC area so on this week's ep they talked about King Kong and Godzilla movies on Thanksgiving for a little bit. This is so great. All this nostalgia. Didn't watch any this year, but I am now going to make it a holiday tradition again starting next year.

http://www.alternativecinema.com/?pg=podcast

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Great films for this particular Holiday. However, for me, the SF Bay Area stations and Sacramento beamed Harryhausen goodness on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years...lots of sword fighting skeletons, giant bees, golden fleeces and marauding statues. Good times.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I finally got to put King Kong in last night on my Blu-ray. Pretty awesome to see it so clean and framing so open. It's still pretty grainy so I doubt they scrubbed it much. Plus the Peter Jackson recreated Lost Spider Pit Sequence is really fun to watch. I didn't like the recreation so much a few years ago but last night I've come around and really enjoyed it.

I also happened to watch the The Real Ghostbusters episode "The Revenge of Murray the Mantis" which takes place during The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York. In it a Giant Float of a Mantis becomes possessed by a ghost and so our boys release The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man to combat it. They have a Godzilla styled brawl in the park, downtown and everything. Rather fitting and I don't think that's a coincidence.

You can watch the whole thing here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIR4M1U9D7Q

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I remember that episode of Ghostbusters. I used to have a VHS tape that had that episode as well as one about a ghost and his sled "Rosebud". Great episodes!

Not sure if it was you (UPDATE: Checked and yes it was you), but someone on here was watching bunch of episodes of this show during their October Movie Marathon and it got me craving to relive this show. Luckily Timelife was having a sale so I was able to pick up the complete show for just over a $100 shipped to Canada. Unfortunately they don't come in the cool steelbooks any more (Although I heard they made the discs hard to get out so it's not a complete loss). I've only watched a few episodes so far but I'm really digging it. Definitely one of the better cartoons from my childhood and holds up a lot better then others such as Transformers, He-Man, ect.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah I decided what the hell and have continued watching episodes of Ghostbusters during lunch and dinner all through November. I've just started Vol. 3 this week. I picked up the original Time Life package all those years ago. At the time they had some crazy sale for pre-ordering it and I think I piled on some other coupons too. Anyways I had everything marked down as costing me just under $150 on that.

I watched Son of Kong last night and Mighty Joe Young tonight. Son of Kong kinda reminds me of the Star Wars prequels. There's a lot of useless scenes to fill the running time and most everything in there is to remind you of the better film that came first but not much else. But the way they handle baby Kong especially reminds me of JarJar Binks. But at least it's only 69 minutes and this is pretty awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-kLqjBtEJk

It's fun to think of Mighty Joe Young as a sequel to Son of Kong with Carl Denham leading a second life on the West Coast running night clubs far away from NY. While the animation, SFX and Joe Young in general are fantastic I never really like the way they portrayed the girl. She just yells at him when he's in trouble or ordering him around. We never see them "hanging out" or anything.

As I was looking up the King Kong monkey clip I came across this again and had entirely forgot about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6Yhapodvo

19. Marclar

Marclar Member

Apart from the fun...King Kong = My first impression. there was something about the 1977 movie when he jumped from one of the WTC buildings to the ohter. I saw it in the theater and it defined all sorts of silver screen prowess for me..... What else can I say..

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I decided to finish things up with King Kong vs. Godzilla and King Kong Escapes!

I'm kinda up and down about King Kong vs. Godzilla. Kong has a very mangy costume and the plot is really stretched thin to create a feature length running time. The fights are kinda dopey reminding me of the worst wrestling matches where they do everything but wrestle. Still when it comes down to the Japanese doing what the Japanese do best it comes of fairly well and it's just too bad that the US cut is really all we have of this.

King Kong Escapes is a lot of fun, mixing in a lot of the original's set pieces along with the usual kaiju antics. This seems like it had an influence on the 70's remake because there's a lot of similarities. If you didn't know better you'd think the Japanese were aping the American remake but this was the first to have the blonde actively like and try to save Kong. The ending in Tokyo was very similar to the remake. There's also a battle with a giant water snake. This one keeps things tightly packaged and moving so it's always a pleasure to watch.