Synapse Films: Titles Coming Soon!

Discussion in 'General' started by Shawn Francis, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

Since Shout! Factory has a thread of forthcoming titles, thought I'd compile one for Synapse. To date this is everything they have announced:

“EMBODIMENT,” “DORM,” “FRAT HOUSE” disc details from Synapse

Fangoria: (11/29/2010) Two of the most-awaited titles on the upcoming slate of genre-disc company Synapse Films now have dates and special-features info to announce, and another fright flick has been added to the lineup. Click past the jump for the details on EMBODIMENT OF EVIL (pictured), THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD and FRAT HOUSE MASSACRE, plus the EMBODIMENT cover art.

EMBODIMENT OF EVIL, the latest film from José Mojica Marins featuring his notorious Coffin Joe character, will arrive February 8 in a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack. “Our transfer is far superior to the master used for the UK disc,” Synapse’s Don May Jr. tells Fango; the Blu-ray will feature a high-definition anamorphic 1.85:1 transfer derived directly from a 2K scan of the film negative, not the HDCAM that was the source for previous versions, with uncompressed DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio. The DVD will contain a standard-definition version, and special-features-wise, “We’ve got the North American premiere footage from the Fantasia film festival, a making-of featurette and the original theatrical trailer,” May says. Retail price is $29.95.

A month later, Synapse has the 1982 slasher opus THE DORM THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, which we first reported about here, on tap. “That one’s currently scheduled for March 8; we’re in the middle of authoring it right now,” says May, who also gave us the scoop on the contents. “That will also be a Blu-ray/DVD combo for $29.95. It’s the uncut director’s cut in anamorphic widescreen, with footage that no one has ever seen before; we put back as much as we possibly could, including additional sequences of both gore and dialogue, and restored the film to most complete version possible. It’ll have an audio commentary by the two directors, Jeffrey Obrow and Stephen Carpenter; featurettes that Michael Felsher of Red Shirt Pictures did for us about composer Christopher Young and makeup FX artist Matthew Mungle, for whom DORM was their first feature; and the original theatrical trailer.”

The new pickup FRAT HOUSE MASSACRE, a slaughter flick of more recent vintage, is currently undated, but Synapse already has a slew of extras planned for that eventual disc as well. Directed by Alex Pucci and boasting a score by Italian maestro Claudio Simonetti, the movie is set in 1979 and delves into the twisted and murderous underbelly of campus life. “We’ll be releasing the 117-minute director’s cut of that movie,” May reveals, “and we’ve got commentaries by the cast and filmmakers, deleted scenes, a behind-the-scenes documentary and more.” We’ll bring you further details and art as we get it, and you can find out more about Synapse’s product at its official website, which has been completely redesigned and newly relaunched with a blog, Facebook and Twitter feeds, etc.

New “INTRUDER” discs and more coming from Synapse Films

FANGORIA: Fango got some bloody good news from Don May Jr. of Synapse Films, who gave us the scoop on a trio of titles the company has acquired for disc release next year. One of them is Scott Spiegel’s INTRUDER, the supermarket slasher flick that marked the first official credit for KNB EFX.

INTRUDER (pictured), first released in 1989, was produced by Lawrence Bender prior to his long association with Quentin Tarantino and features brief appearances by Sam and Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell. “We have uncovered the the original film materials,” May tells Fango, “and are in the process of scanning the uncut version in 2K HD. It’s early, for sure, but we plan on some exciting extras to be produced by Michael Felsher’s Red Shirt Pictures. This one deserves a place on every gore fan’s shelf and to be remastered properly, and is a nice companion to our upcoming release of THOU SHALL NOT KILL…EXCEPT release [also made by the Raimi camp]. We’re planning a Blu-ray and DVD release for 2011.”

Not exactly horror, but certain to appeal to genre fans, are the other two movies just added to Synapse’s slate; one is James Glickenhaus’ 1980 vigilante gorefest THE EXTERMINATOR. “We’re huge fans of this exploitation/actioner here at Synapse,” May says, “and we jumped at the chance to acquire it when we heard it was available. We are searching for the best film material to present the uncut version and scan it in 2K HD. We know where all the material is stored, and it’s going to be an interesting hunt to go through the vault and see what’s there. The film deserves a new HD transfer, and we’re glad to be involved.”

Then there’s ’89’s RED SCORPION, with Dolph Lundgren as a KGB agent rebelling against his superiors and taking up arms alongside African rebels “It’s Joe Zito [director, also of FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER and THE PROWLER],” May notes. “It has Tom Savini effects. It’s awesome. We will also be remastering this film in 2K HD. We understand there are some additional scenes floating around, and we have found what seems to be a longer, but older, master of the film, labeled in the vault as ‘Long Version.’ We’re going to search the vaults high and low for the most complete version and the original negative material. It may take a lot of research to find the additional footage on film, but we’re up to the challenge. Savini may have some behind-the-scenes video, and if so, it’ll be fun to showcase some of that stuff. We’ll have extras, but it’s early yet, so we have to wait and see what we can come up with.” Both EXTERMINATOR and SCORPION will be issue on DVD and Blu-ray; stay tuned for updates!

More Hammer DVDs coming from Synapse Films

FANGORIA: Fans of Hammer Films’ 1970s outings will rejoice that DVD outfit Synapse Films has acquired the rights to four titles from the library of the classic British horror studio. Among them are three features that have never previously been available on optical disc in the U.S.

Synapse’s Don May Jr. gave us the scoop that they’ve picked up Robert Young’s VAMPIRE CIRCUS, John Hough’s TWINS OF EVIL and Peter Sasdy’s HANDS OF THE RIPPER, along with the classic 13-episode TV series HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR. “We have new high-definition transfers of all three features,” May tells Fango. “Supplement producer Daniel Griffith is working with us on extras, including—so far—interviews with filmmaker and Hammer fan Joe Dante and FLESH AND BLOOD: THE HAMMER HERITAGE OF HORROR writer/director Ted Newsom. Other possible interviews and extras are in the works, including theatrical trailers and TV spots. It’s very possible we will be putting out the three features on Blu-ray as well. If we do, we’ll announce both the DVD and Blu-ray releases at the same time. All 13 episodes of HAMMER HOUSE OF HORROR will be released in a DVD boxed set. The plan is to have these available in third quarter 2010.” Keep your eyes here for details as they become available.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

We already have a Synapse thread, and a rather lengthy one on The Dorm That Dripped Blood.

~Matt

3. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I kinda figured, what deserving horror forum wouldn't have one.

4. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Aww man, I already have The Exterminator, give me a release of the sequel!

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll have to grab THE EXTERMINATOR,I don't own the old disc.The Synapse gang does great work.Their LEMORA release is a favorite of mine.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to all of these!

I'm curious if Frat House Massacre will be getting a blu-ray release. I really enjoyed Camp Slaughter and I'm very excited to finally see this one!

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I 2nd that!!

8. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Yeah, mods probably need to merge the Synapse threads.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I hate overlong threads. I see no harm in having more than one.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Does anybody have any info on Synapse's future releases of At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul and This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse? They're listed in the "Coming Soon" section of the catalog that came with my Prom Night blu but I haven't found anything online related to it. If it sounds like it'll be worth the upgrade I wouldn't mind selling my old Fantoma DVD while it still has some value left in it.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

First of all they're not going to be on Blu-ray, this will be DVD only. It talked with Don May about it at a convention a few years ago and they can't do a real good HD scan in Brazil, and they're not willing to ship the fragile materials to North America.

I was under the impression that they will be porting over all of the elements from the Cinemagia/WTF Brazilian boxset from 2002, but after reading the old news again I'm not so sure: http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showpost.php?p=683533&postcount=75

- À Meia-Noite Levarei Sua Alma ( At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul ) (1963)
    - Esta Noite Encarnarei no Teu Cadaver ( This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse ) (1966)
    - Estranho Mundo de Zé do Caixão, O ( Strange World of Coffin Joe, The ) (1968)
    - Ritual dos Sádicos, O ( Awakening of the Beast ) (1970)
    - Finis Hominis ( End of Man, The ) (1971)
    - Delirios de um amoral ( Hallucinations of a Deranged Mind ) (1978)
    + Reino Sangrento (1952)
    + Universo de Mojica Marins, O ( Universe of Mojica Marins, The ) (1968)
    + Pesadelo Macabro ( Macabre Nightmare ) (1968)
    + Demônios e Maravilhas 1976-1987 ( Demons and Wonders ) (1994)
    + Genio Total, O ( Horror Palace Hotel ) (1978)

It's also long out of print so I'm not seeing much for reviews but here: http://offscreen.com/view/coleo_caixo

However the last Anchor Bay UK release looks like it has most all of that, so it seems probable Synapse will have it too. I'm not expecting this release anytime soon though. :(

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.950927364935269.1073741829.193094600718553&type=1

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Facebook:
    Of course people speculate what the HELL he's picked up, with Hell Night being a good guess. How about Hell Comes to Frogtown?

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's probably Hell Night.

Hell Comes to Frogtown is a Lakeshore title with Image domestically, so its doubtful they licensed it out.

15. Dobby

Dobby Webmaster

Ow great now we can wait 2 fuckin years for Synapse to release it. :mad: I like some of the blu rays they have released. So don't get me wrong but they drag ass with releases.

16. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Shout factory should have been done Hell Night 2 years ago!!!

17. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Or, it could've just been one HELL of a trip (working on certain titles). I tend to read too much into these things but I immediately thought of Hell Night when I saw that comment as well. Tell you one thing, if Hell Night ever makes it to Blu-ray it'll probably become my favorite release. I lost count the number of times I've seen this thing. A BD would be like watching it for the first time again (if it gets a decent remaster).

18. Dobby

Dobby Webmaster

Ya no shit Sherlock ow well guess it will be long ass wait. :mad:

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

no shit. That would excite me more than Suspiria.

20. Dobby

Dobby Webmaster

Screw Suspiria already have a nice version of it on blu ray. Gimmie Hell Night as I find myself watching it twice a month!!