Superstition 2 (1989)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Hellbilly, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Anyone seen this? Known as Streghe in Italy, titled "Superstition 2" in the U.S. according to IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098397/

Starring Amy Adams (!). I'm intrigued.

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Is it an unofficial sequel to the regrettable Superstition from 1982?

3. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

a check on IMDB seems to imply that it's not "THAT" Amy Adams, but someone who shares the currently popular actress' name, and this girl only has two other minor credits to her resume.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

That's what you get for being too lazy to click through and only assume ;)
    Ah well, I'm still intrigued.

5. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

No. It's not related in any way to Superstition. Just an opportunistic retitling of an Italian film called Streghe aka Witch Story.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Interesting. I love Superstition.

Even if it is unrelated, I would still be interested in checking this out.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

So, I finally saw this unofficial Italian sequel to Superstition last night (under the title Witch Story). Doesn't come close to that film, but I still thought it was a very entertaining teen horror film. Could have probably worked as another GhostHouse sequel, given that this is pretty much a mix of that and Dead Dudes In The House, with a dash of Witchtrap tossed in for good measure. If you enjoyed any of those, you should get a kick out of this.

Basically nine 20-somethings head to a remote mansion in Florida, which a brother and sister within the group has just inherited. They're unaware that a witch was burned alive there in 1932, and the witch begins possessing the females in the group (who in turn kill off the men). There's also the ghost of a little girl wandering around, the daughter of the witch who committed suicide by jumping out of a window after seeing her mother burned alive.

The first half is the typical shenanigans of the 20-somethings hanging out at this haunted house. The movie is littered with product placement, including a scene where they're eating KFC and drinking Coca Cola (with one character strangely wearing a Burger King crown as this is happening). Of course, the hot blonde in the group sees fit to jump up on the dinner table and do a striptease amidst the empty KFC buckets, which I'm sure would make Colonel Sanders blush.

It also delivers the slasher movie goods once the girls are possessed and start picking off the guys. My favorite bit was the aforementioned blonde who falls into the swimming pool, only to emerge from the water wielding a roaring chainsaw (which she uses to hack a guy to bits). There's also a scene where a woman slices up a very phallic sausage in front of a guy, then suddenly turns the meat cleaver on him, hacking him up while shoving the chopped sausage in his mouth. This is a movie for the #metoo movement.

If you haven't had enough Floridian campiness already, the movie ends with an epilogue scene that has a title card declaring the date as "October 31th". No, seriously:

31th.JPG

Consider me a fan.

Steel76, x666x and fceurich39 like this.
  8. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Found the movie on youtube. Will give it a watch tonight :)

9. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

has some atmospheric moments but the kills are fairly standard for an Italian flick, wasn't invested in any of the characters at all

for a single watch it's OK enough but I don't see myself revisiting this again