Supernatural TV Series Finale

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Nov 20, 2020.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Anyone watch this finale? I only watched / listened to a bit. I wasn't thrilled with what I saw. I guess this series ended back in Season 5 for me. I watched two or three seasons after that but it kept getting worse. From what I saw in the finale, it had the same lighter tone of the seasons when I stopped watching. And I hated
    how the ended it with the characters. I guess it's a good place for them to end. But I would have preferred them driving off into the moonlight. A reverse of the classic Indiana Jones 3 shot of them riding off into the sunset.

I did watch some reruns of the show recently and realized that I do miss seeing these characters. So I'm looking forward to getting Seasons 1 - 5 on disc in HD.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

What you mentioned in the spoiler, basically happened at the end of episode 19, which actually felt like the last episode. So you can always stop there ;)

I gave up on the show for a while. But after hearing it got better again, I jumped back in, with season 12, and yeah, it was a lot better again.

The first seasons had a lighter tone as well. The comic banter between the brother, Castiel and Bobby, has always been there. But when the show got darker, and they started to fight and argue all the time, I gave up on the show.
    It became a soap opera with all the bullshit.
    Last 3-4 seasons felt like the beginning again.

I think it ended very well. Can't believe I started to watch the show at 29, and now when it ended, I'm 44. Time sure flies... :D

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

I watched Episode 19 and you are right. That episode has a full movie video at the end with homages to many of the characters in the show.

It is odd. It's like they made Episode 19 as a season and series finale and thought that wasn't good enough. And also someone for some crazy reason wanted to give the brothers and the actors their own ending so they made yet another episode.

I don't remember the first Seasons being as light with the humor and look of the show. It was dark and spooky. With the characters driving around at night, chasing down monsters and demons. The show was one of the best on TV then. I always looked forward to it every week.

In many ways, it makes me kind of angry now. Because it feels like the X-Files with the bad second movie's ending with Mulder and Scully waving at the camera. I haven't seen the newer X-Files episodes yet. But it just feels like Supernatural wasn't plotted out fully when you see stuff like those last two episodes. I read a post on another forum that said the show has been aimless since Season 5. I know I got through Season 6. And Season 7 felt like a slog. But Supernatural could have come back. They could have made a special movie length Halloween episode every year or two. There was no reason to end it like that. The actors are still young.

I have been skimming through the wikia and I am curious about some of the stories and characters. I knew nothing about Jack. But I think I was never happy with the idea of God actually being a part of Supernatural. I can't fully remember my thoughts. I didn't like that final fight in Episode 19.

I know I'm going to watch Seasons 1 - 5 again. Maybe I'll watch Seasons 8 - 15 first to compare. I want to see the Apocalypse World that seems like a Star Trek Mirror type world.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I think Supernatural was a surprisingly strong series for the budget it had, and I’ve never been one of those that believed it should have ended ten years ago. They’ve had a lot of great ideas and additions since Season 5 (Men of Letters, Mark of Cain, Thule Society, for a few). Does it have weak episodes? Yes, all shows do, and the first five seasons were no exception. Up until the end they always had monster of the week episodes but to expect that to be the primary focus a few years out... sorry that is a prime recipe for cancellation and there are decades worth of horror shows in the television graveyard to prove it. I enjoyed both of the last episodes, and am sad to see it go.

I just think it’s kind of silly to think you can watch the last episode after not seeing it in several years and expect it to be satisfying. You don’t have any real connection to the characters anymore.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm another one that dropped out of this around season 5 where it started to feel really weak. It blows my mind every time I'm reminded it made it all the way to 15 seasons. For me it should have ended around that time, though I do hear some of the latter seasons had some really good eps.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I made it to the end of season 8, or whatever season finale where the angels were all falling out of the sky.

I'll finish it some day. Maybe.

7. ImmortalSlasher

I don't know if I can say with 100% certainty but I don't remember being disappointed with any of the episodes in Seasons 1 - 5. Great shows just continue to have a compelling story. Breaking Bad was like that. Supernatural was a good mix of the main storyline and the monster of the week episodes which I think just about every horror / sci-fi show has.

I'm going to try and get back into it. I know I stopped before they got to their base in Season 8. Checking wiki I think I stopped around the episode called "LARP and the Real Girl." I know I watched one or two episodes from a few later seasons and was disappointed. Basically I've watched a little more than half of the series.

I still have connection to the characters. They are the Winchester boys. The actors still play them the same way for the most part even if the tone of the show changed. I tend to wear similar clothes as the brothers. And I want to get the QMX figures but they still haven't released Sam yet for some reason when they showed him years ago. I don't know why they wouldn't release them together. Who wants a figure of only one brother?

dean qmx.jpg

I don't think I knew that the original creator left at Season 5 when I was watching the show. A lot of people mention the cut off at Season 5. Season 6 and 7 for me were the ones that felt like they were searching for some kind of conflict. I remember one of those Seasons had the Leviathans who were extremely boring to me.

The wiki here breaks down the Seasons into "Eras."

https://supernatural.fandom.com/wiki/Supernatural

So perhaps when I start Season 8 again I'll get to some of the better episodes as Season 6 and 7 were a separate era.

Zombie Dude likes this.