Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, From Beyond, Dolls) dies at age 72

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think he is one of the more interesting of the "Masters Of Horror". A lot of their output seemed to decline in quality throughout the late '90s and '00s, but he's one of the few whose work got better. Edmond and King Of The Ants are terrific. Stuck is pretty wild too.

R.I.P.

Myron Breck and Natas like this.
  3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

He certainly does deserve his own thread. He'd be an immortal even if he only gave us RE-ANIMATOR--but he continued to do interesting and more diverse work than other genre directors. It's funny to think he essentially created HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS. That's up there with Bob Clark delivering A CHRISTMAS STORY.

Hopefully there's time for Joe Bob to squeeze FROM BEYOND into season 2 of THE LAST DRIVE-IN.

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

For fuck sake!!! Was feeling a little better about the whole staying in situation then I read this and straight back down!!!

I absolutely loved both Re-animator and From Beyond. I remember seeing Re-animator for the first time, my mom had just come out of hospital and was stuck in the living room, It was my rental choice of the week and she asked that I didn't have anything too extreme!!! I remember her face while watching it cussing me with my choice!!!! Great Times.

He would be a legend for me for just those but he contributed other greats, including Dolls and Dagon to name a few. You will be missed! RIP!

Natas likes this.
  5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

RIP. Stuart was a talented director and his HP Lovecraft adaptations are some of the best.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll have to break out Dagon sometime in the next few days.

I got to see one of the plays he directed, Nevermore. It's a one man show, with Jeffrey Combs as Edgar Allen Poe. After the show ended and we were all filing out, I took a look around and there was Stuart in the back row.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Not to change the subject, but I always thought it made perfect sense that Bob Clark directed both Black Christmas AND A Christmas Story. The cynicism for the "spirit of the holiday" is rampant in both.

Agree on Joe Bob, although he talked a lot about Stuart's history when they showed Re-Animator 2 years ago. But if they do another Gordon flick on Drive-In, hopefully it will be as a tribute; last year they showed two Larry Cohen movies, and due to the delay in taping-to-airing, JBB was talking about Cohen like he was still alive (which he was, at the time of filming). It was....weird.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

He showed Castle Freak as well, and even had Barbara Crampton on hand to weigh in. If he does decide to eulogize Gordon, I hope he gets Gordon's wife to participate. I've rarely seen her interviewed (if ever), and suspect she'd be able to give us all a better sense of Gordon THE MAN. That's one thing we didn't get much of from the other Gordon episodes.

Agree that both of Clark's Christmas movies show his signature. I was merely alluding to the fact that the average citizen would be stupefied to learn he directed both. The same undoubtedly goes for HISTK and RE-ANIMATOR, etc.

9. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

One of the true greats of genre filmmaking. The guy rarely gets mentioned in the same sentence as his contemporaries (i.e. Craven, Carpenter, Romero, ect) but deserves to be. RIP Stu.

hots4 likes this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Loved King of the Ants and Edmond especially. Obviously a legend for a reason. Im gonna have to dive into some of his features that I've never gotten around to see (Dolls, specifically)

RIP

CPT HOOK likes this.
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

If you never checked out EDMOND, you really should--it's terrific.

RIP

CPT HOOK likes this.
  12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

An icon of the genre and a clever , talented man. I have wonderful memories of seeing the unrated REANIMATOR on opening day and having a whale of a good time. I was too young to get in but I looked older than I was and the guy in the booth sold me a ticket. I saw STUCK in the theater too, at a Landmark Theater in the D.C. area during it's tiny run . I had no idea then that it would be his last major feature. Rest In Peace.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Truly a hero of mine as a Chicagoan and had a similar sensibilities of my own. He wrote the play book on adapting Lovecraft which up until Re-Animator was mostly unsuccessful and even now is difficult to adapt unless you follow his lead. A brilliant and gifted man.

I got to see him at a Lovecraft festival and they screened a taped table read of the staged version of Re-Animator with William Atherton as Dr. Hill. It was glorious! Unfortunately this was unscheduled and screened after the final programing so my ride had come and was waiting outside the theater for me. But I watched as much as I thought I could get away with. He sat just a row or two behind me so I had to do the walk of shame in the theater and sneak out in front of him. Before screening it he seemed self conscious of how rough it was and warned us about that so I thought he might think I didn't like it. I always wanted to meet him again in person and explain why I left. :D So it's especially sad to see him go too soon. :(

If that ever leaks out I would love to see the whole thing. It's doubtful they'll ever include it as an extra.

And where's The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit? I've been waiting to see that on DVD and now Blu-ray for what? Twenty years? What's the deal Disney?

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

15. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member