Shock

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Semerrill, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Can anyone tell me if shock is a good movie it stars Daria Nicolodi and i thought since she was in it, it might be a good film i bought this dvd that comes along with possession.i also ordered Tenebrae and opera limited edition and inferno too because i really enjoyed suspiria and deep red.

2. I Thought Shock was great,

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

It may be a little too late since you already bought it but yea it's decent and it does have Daria in it. You watch it and tell us what you think of it.

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I personally thought it sucked! There was one great shot in the film, that's highly memorable, but other than that, I didn't get into it, and the kid is annoying as hell!

5. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

do any of you know why the alternative title of this movie is called beyond the door 2 is there another part of this movie.

6. I think it's called that because they share the little kid in both...(Beyond the Door and Beyond the Door 2)...other than that I can see no connection between the two

7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    SHOCK is a favorite of mine. I showed it to some friends too and they liked it and they're picky as hell with horror movies.
    I love playing that trailer of BEYOND THE DOOR 2 and THE DARK over and over. The good ol' days of horror movie marketing.

8. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Shock is pretty good - not great, imo. There is one key scene that still works after repeated viewing (shows great filmmaking) but some of it is a bit hokey. Worth having and watching every now and again, and it's a pretty meaty roll for Daria, which is cool.

9. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

I really like Shock.It's the first Mario Bava I saw.
    The (Libra) soundtrack rocks!
    I have the Dutch DVD which used the AB transfer and looks very good.

I advise you to watch Shock first before you watch "Conducting Dario Argento's Opera" on the Opera disc.Not sure if it contains any real spoilers (has been a while since I last watched it) but it spoils some powerful scenes.
    Nicolodi's best role imho.

10. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

Thanks crystal

11. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I didn't realize this was being re-released by Blue Underground, but I saw a copy for $10 so I picked it up. Always wanted to see it.

I wasn't disappointed. Really solid little horror film. Lots of great visual trickery and some creepy and scary moments throughout. And Daria is simply great.

I also liked the heavy, heavy freudian subtext. I guess "sub"text isn't even accurate, since it was so blatant, but I liked it!

12. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I love the music best! The movie itself was sort of blaaaaah. I wanted to see that little kid in it get an axe in the head. Was anybody else annoyed by the kid in this film? That's just me I'm weird like that.

13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yeah, I forgot to mention the music. Really good. Simple but good. Kind of reminded me of what Keith Emerson was aiming for in Inferno, but more subtle.

14. Crystal Plumage

I Libra's music is great.They made two other albums which are very different.

Libra

15. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

The kid in Shock was annoying, but not as annoying as "Bob" in Fulci's The House By The Cemetery.

Shock was also notable for having a pretty big "normal" role for John Steiner.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Although the one actor is in both films ,the pictures are not actually related at all.The EXORCIST inspired Italian film CHE SEI ? was titled BEYOND THE DOOR upon it's American release and hyped like crazy.It emerged as a surprise hit,which led to Warner Brothers suing it's distributer,claiming copyright infringement of THE EXORCIST.The films release was cut short as a result.However,when SHOCK was picked up for an American release,it's distributor,wanting to cash in on the success of BEYOND THE DOOR a few years earlier,simply retitled SHOCK to make it seem to be a sequel to the earlier hit.The one actor being in both films was coincidental.

By the way,this wasn't the first time a Bava film was falsely sold here as a sequel to an earlier hit.Bava's TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE (aka ECOLOGY OF A CRIME,CARNAGE and BAY OF BLOOD) was retitled LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT PART 2 during a reissue,and it was made BEFORE the Craven film.

17. Crystal Plumage

I thought the kid was very creepy.Especially in the "sex scene".

18. Dbone

Dbone Guest

I have also been wondering about this movie. I love haunted-house flicks. The music in the trailer was a little over-the-top. Is it worth checking out?

19. reddye5

reddye5 Member

I love Shock. I bought it without having seen it before. I really liked it. It's got a creepy vibe, Nicolodi is great, and there are some striking visuals.

I fully recommend it.

20. Dbone

Dbone Guest

Thanks Reddye! I'll check it out.