Scarecrow Video Article I Wrote for Fangoria.com

Discussion in 'General' started by fattyjoe37, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Cool! Please keep us posted!

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Rad!

3. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Scarecrow Video has a Kickstarter campaign going to help turn the store into a non-profit. If they don't reach their goal, the doors of the largest video library in the world will close forever. Take a look at the campaign here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/644154729/the-scarecrow-project and donate if you have the change to spare. Have your top 10 films list hanging in the store or sponsor a section, there are all sorts of great perks.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I supported the Kickstarter this morning. Very happy to help out, and hope they reach their goal as it's one of my goals to one day visit the store.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

great post. thank you, I will contribute.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I read that earlier today. Very cool you're the one who wrote it! I really enjoyed the article and I hope that place can be saved. It's a shame places like that are being closed down.

7. fattyjoe37

8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Scarecrow is an Amazon marketplace seller - I'll show some support by buying from them as often as I can. Sounds like an awesome place but, sadly, they've become a victim of changing times. Same thing happened to Kim's Video in my neck of the woods (NYC). A video superstore forced to downsize until there was nothing left. Sigh.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

10. fattyjoe37

Above is a bumper I made about Scarecrow Video for a local film initiative in Washington. It was partially shot using the VHS Cam app.

11. fattyjoe37

Scarecrow Video's Kickstarter from a couple of years ago was to help them transition into a non-profit. Well now you can support them with every Amazon purchase you make via Amazon Smile. Take a look here to make it so a percentage of your purchase goes toward preserving the largest video library in the world.

Workshed likes this.
  12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Damn, wish I would have known about this earlier........bought over $500 of stuff for our business this morning.........Next week we need another big purchase.........will include Scarecrow Video in the checkout :)

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  13. fattyjoe37

All the ways you can support Scarecrow Video, the world's largest film rental library, during quarantine in one handy dandy link. I just bought a DVD of Bleeders from their Amazon store, plus they have stuff on ebay, and a new rent-by-mail program. I've been doing the rentals by mail for several months and it works great. They don't ship out the super rare stuff, but it's a good way to catch up on things that aren't streaming and/or imports. I love this store and want to help keep it afloat during these uncertain times so it doesn't suffer the same unfortunate fate as Vulcan Video in Austin did when they were forced to close after shelter in place orders decimated their business.
    http://blog.scarecrow.com/supportsc...amXOol0dz2eY9pZS9PoVzfJu0saL1BFpqGxfqjyT-1uYc

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, I might do the rent-by-mail thing they offer. Looks like they have a great selection. I already get discs by mail from Netflix, but they don't have a lot of the obscure stuff.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Joe, is there a link to a title list WITHOUT signing up? I mean, it's no big deal, I'm almost certainly signing up regardless, I just wanna do a compare to the "availability unknown" section of my Netflix queue. If a lot of titles are there, then this becomes a no-brainer.

16. fattyjoe37

I actually didn't know there was a full title list lol. I just go to Scarecrow.com and search for a title to see if it's available without being RBA (rental by approval AKA rare and they don't mail it), VHS, or Laserdisc. Anything DVD, Blu-ray, basically any sort of tiny disc is what they'll mail.

17. fattyjoe37

18. fattyjoe37

The Scarecrow Video live stream starts in 30 minutes and the Video Store Day sales are live now.

http://blog.scarecrow.com/vsd2020/

The link above contains a schedule of the day's events, which include a lecture on Psycho and a review of every movie in their Giallo section. There you'll also find a link to their online VSD sale featuring exclusive merch and discounted discs. I picked up Blood and Black Lace, Warning from Space, Pitch Black, and Charley Varrick on Blu. Join in and support physical media and small businesses!