RIP Gunnar Hansen

Discussion in 'General' started by rxfiend, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Sad news...

And what a singularly disagreeable individual, that remake Leatherface dude.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

WOW, for me the savini one is bad, it's like he is saying fuck the fans I don't care about you lot, fair enough then stop going to the conventions, stay away from us, don't put yourself in that situation, I had a lot of respect for him, but it's gone over the years, I met him at a convention in the uk and he seemed bored, not very approachable, and from stories here it seems to be the norm. I say next time he is at a convention let's all ignore him, see how he feels then.

As for Bryniarski what a fucking prick, that's just disrespectful, I hope his career goes down the shitter, he deserves it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Buechlers_beard and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

My thoughts on this:
    Andrew B is obviously butthurt about living in the shadow of Gunnar Hansen's iconic performance of Leatherface. Still, a classless jerk to act in such a way in light of someone's death. To Hell with him.
    Tom Savini, I actually exchanged e-mails with several years ago and he seemed like a genuinely nice and likeable guy. I can sort of understand his perspective with this latest post, but it's still a little troubling to sense that he has contempt for the people that actually pay to meet him at the Conventions and such. I don't think you even have to meet someone for them to have impact and influence on your life, I certainly never met Jimmy Page or Martin Luther King Jr., but I'd consider them as people that have influenced me and impacted me in very different ways.
    A few years ago, I was lucky enough to spend some time with Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and Bruce Kulick of KISS, it was not a convention type setting but more relaxed and casual. I had been a fan since the seventies and their down to earth nature and genuine interest in my life at that point made an indelible impact. I don't claim to have intimate knowledge of these people, but on that day it cemented memories that will last forever. I don't think that it would be wrong to feel grief upon learning of their passing or expressing condolences.
    However, the TMZ style infatuation with celebs does push some people over the edge to a ridiculous degree, hopefully this is what Savini meant to condemn.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

What a dickhole.... Hopefully future Horror Conventions will remember this and not book him.

MisterTwister and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I had to keep re-reading Savini's post (it's late). To summarize, is he using Mr. Hansen's death as a platform to advise people not to mourn him because you would be making his death about them? I, like everyone else here was sad to hear about his passing. We gave our condolences and went about our day. Some of us were lucky to meet Mr. Hansen and share stories. We are not able (and probably not welcome) to attend his service and discuss his life with friends and family members. Mr. Savini has always been a weird guy. I have no comment on the other guys classless remarks.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Savini is saying remember your film heroes by talking about THEM, not about yourself.

As for the other guy, the more we type his name and talk about him, the more we give him exactly what he wants: attention. Really, he was off the radar until he made a stink and now he's front and center. Forget about him all over again.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't think Savini is saying that at all. People talk about themselves in relation to meeting stars like Gunnar Hansen, I've not seen any fans using his death to talk themselves up; they usually follow up by saying how nice he was on that occasion. I don't see anything wrong with that.

As for the other dude, well I hope he is remembered for his comment. He was an unknown before it and will remain an unknown after it. People don't get far in life with that sort of attidue and disrespect.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

My sentiments exactly. I have not clicked on any links about him and will continue to avoid doing so.

Workshed and buck135 like this.
  9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

It's quite literally what he is saying, dude:

Talk about those who have passed, not about yourself. He suggests talking about Gunnar.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I hear what you are saying, but he starts his post by saying: "WHEN I DIE, PLEASE DON'T TALK TO ME." He then procedes to advise everyone as to how he wants to be remembered when he passes. Mr. Hansen isn't mentioned until the last sentence when he says "Now lets talk about Gunner." Wouldn't we all have preferred to hear some stories Tom had with Gunner? Then perhaps a few days/weeks/months later, post that he has been giving death some though, and he would like people to remember him in this way. Saying that people that were excited to meet him at a convention shouldn't express emotion regarding his passing unless they warned him about a "prick teaser" is rather tacky.

Mr. Savini has always been a polarizing fellow. He has seen some real horrors during the Vietnam War. That couldn't have been easy to bring home. He was very difficult to work with, and considered a genius and an innovator. He is hot or cold during conventions. I understand that it must be challenging having to answer the same questions over and over for years, but you all can agree that the people that attend conventions are generally very respectful. I hate using this thread to talk about anyone but Mr. Hansen.

11. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

12. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

That's a great cast! Let's hope most of them aren't simply cameos. I remember when Hansen was talking about a script similar to this years ago. Kinda like horror characters that escape into real life. I think it was originally called The Last Horror Movie - before another film was released with the same name. Maybe this was a play on that. Sounds good.

Workshed likes this.
  13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I was wondering, can we all agree there should NOT be a Tom Savini passing thread ever on this forum?

Because that would be against his wishes, no? I say we give him his wish. Because just about every post here on this thread said something like R.I.P. Gunnar Hansen, or met him at a convention/(enter place here) and he was friendly, great guy, etc... And none of us were ever Gunnar Hansen's friend. (at least I don't think).

These are all points that Savini is against. So let's all pledge to honor that wish. As for Andrew Bryniarski, he should get a thread imo and the hounds should be released.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  14. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I'd agree. But if Savini's dead. He's not gonna know wtf we're doing buddy.

Harry Warden likes this.
  15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

:D Now that's funny!!!:p

16. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

RIP Gunnar Hansen. His Leatherface was the best, because he approached the role as a true actor. Instead of being just a generic big guy in a mask, he portrayed someone with clear mental health issues who was molded into a monster by the bizarre circumstances of his upbringing and family situation.

"Generic big guy in a mask" describes Andrew B.'s Leatherface pretty well. That's just a side effect of the "actor" being a big, intense guy. And apparently a stupid one, too. His screen career hasn't exactly taken off, so all he has to look forward to is a life of hauling his broken-down, steroid-riddled ass on the convention circuit, facing the fans whom he's insulted by dissing the legends who came before.

I unfortunately never got to meet Gunnar, but I've heard only good things about him. As for Tom Savini, I've met him twice and he was great both times. Once was right as his lunch arrived at a pretty dead event, and he gave my GF and I an eggroll. So he's cool with me.

17. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't think they ever acknowledged that there was a even problem with their release. If you're region-free, the UK Blu-ray doesn't have the problem with it.

19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That's right. I'm fairly certain they came out and said Tobe Hooper made the changes whilst supervising the release. There definitely won't be a fixed disc as they don't consider it broken. Plus my understanding is it's only one transition shot at the start which isn't too major for a director approved change.

I may grab the UK blu if it ever drops to a more satisfying price as I like the steel book and art.

20. BlackChristmas19742006

BlackChristmas19742006 New Member

[​IMG]

I received this in the mail somewhere around 15 years ago.

Harry Warden likes this.