New PHANTASM "Sphere Collection" (new 4K transfer for II & new bonus content) – October 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Mar 28, 2019.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Has anyone watched the phantasm II disc yet? If so can you confirm what's additional? There were multiple scenes cut, but I'm hearing reports only the sphere to the head scene has been re-inserted, not the additional scenes when the sphere enters the guys back? Can anyone confirm?

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Patience, Daniel-san. I got suckered by Anchor Bay and bought the mega-giganto Halloween boxset, repurchasing MANY of the exact discs I already had, because the H6 Producer's Cut was "exclusive" to the box. Of course, its soon appeared as a standalone release that was under $10 at Amazon during the pre-order period. I think it was about 12 months after the release of the box.

I also want the upgraded Phantasm II, but I'm sticking with my Arrow set. This disc will appear somewhere in the next year.

3. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I also have the Arrow set and am very pleased with it. I wouldn’t MIND the new set, but I’m fine waiting for a stand alone of part 2. What’s annoying is going on the bluray.com message board and seeing the crazies argue, and bicker, over bullshit like this. It’s pathetic. I appreciate how much more laid back this site is. Everyone here is usually reasonable and respectful.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's the "X-Rated" footage that the MPAA made them cut originally. It doesn't run much longer a few seconds, but the film is now the fully uncut original Director's Cut as Coscarelli intended.

I watched the disc last night, and this new 4K remaster is a big improvement over the old HD transfer.

There's more than just that one new disc in this set however. The first Phantasm film has a new Atmos track, the new Coscarelli commentary, new Angus B/W flashback footage remaster in HD, and there's the new feature-length Ravager documentary on the 5th bonus disc. Plus at least a couple of new Easter Eggs.

If you want the doc (I actually really liked Ravager) on the Bonus disc, I doubt it'll be available outside of this set.

Myron Breck and gobad2003 like this.
  5. Katatonia

6. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

7. Katatonia

To be honest, I didn't even watch it with the 4.0 track. I'd heard about the dropout issues before, and just decided to watch it with the 5.1 track instead.

gobad2003 likes this.
  8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there's some sensible, level-headed discussion taking place over at blu-ray.com. ;)

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I mean, any sort of disc playback issue is both irritating and unprofessional on the company releasing it. I'm surprised how often issues come up, especially with labels like Shout.
    Those Blu-ray.com guys can be on another level though lol. Definitely a level-headed bunch :rolleyes:

10. Dobby

Dobby Stallone in Terminator 2

Those crybabies on bluraydotcom might get us a free replacement. :)

Katatonia, Zombie Dude and Matt89 like this.
  11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

lolol I live for the drama on there sometimes.

~Matt

Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  12. Dobby

Dobby Stallone in Terminator 2

Katatonia and X-human like this.