March & April Horror Movie Watching Thread 2020 - Coronavirus Edition!

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

From the TCM broadcast earlier this month?

I had seen it before, but it didn't stick with me. I think I was expecting something over-the-top like Requiem For a Dream, but like you say, it's non-sensationalist. They just go about their day, from one fix to the next. It's petty theft, it's borrowing money, it's prostitution (and ripping off Paul Sorvino in the process!)

This time it really got to me.

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    KILL BABY, KILL - finally watched this whole film WITH the commentary from Tim Lucas. What a great film.

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

I had it on the DVR from a TCM airing but it could have been from a while ago as I have a bad habit of leaving stuff on there for a while. The lockdown has been good for me to clear off those year-old 2 - 3 hour foreign movies that I never get a chance to watch.:)

I really like Requiem For a Dream but this almost takes the opposite approach which is actually one of my favorite types of movie - where you just get to follow characters going about the business of their daily lives and it is shown in a matter-of-fact way. What happens to Kitty Winn is heart-breaking but way too believable and I really loved her performance. I liked Pacino too but he seemed to be relying too much on some actorly tricks.

How about the ending of the movie? It just kind of stops in the middle of a conversation!

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

But it was all you needed to know, wasn't it? They're just gonna keep living that life.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

One of Michael Moore's long time co-producers Jeff Gibbs has release a documentary of his own, Planet of the Humans, free online. While I find Moore's own documentaries unbearable I thought I'd check it out; it is free after all.

While it closely follows the Moore model for documentaries which is more of an "editorial" approach, I found Gibbs less bristling and instead refreshingly candid by slowly walking us through his own disillusionment with the green energy industry and especially the green movement. There's a lot of data out there suggesting things are only getting worse and this helps explain why. TLDR: What we are doing isn't helping, if anything it's making things worse.

There's a phrase this film brings to my mind, "If stupidity got us into this mess why can't it get us out?" This hits pretty close to home my own growing belief that building solar panels, building wind turbines, and battery storage is not an ecological solution. It's just taking shit from one pile and putting it into another. All the while using even more resources than we otherwise would have had we remained on course and giving us a false sense of security. This does bring my attention to biomass, the subject of the bulk of the documentary, which is on the surface of it a foolish endeavor. The reason why we've switched to coal generationally was because it was more efficient than burning lumber. Why would we go back to lumber?

The illusion being sold to us is that addressing climate change can be done through capitalism. Essentially that whoever comes up with the solution will be rich and we can all make money along the way. The truth is that it will be a costly endeavor that will not only be unprofitable but will have huge financial losses. But the reason why we must do it is because this economic ruin will happen anyways. We have to decide if we want to parse it out in a controlled manner at a time and pace of our choosing or just suddenly, unexpectedly and at an overwhelming rate. Remind you of anything?

This helps put us on the road to answering the question, "If capitalism got us into this mess why can't it get us out?"

What this only hints at is the bare truth that what we need is not renewables or recycling but less consumption. Capitalism will not get us out of it. Period.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  7. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Today is The Code Blu Ray of Sergio Martino’s The Great Alligator. Typical Jaws rip off combined with some Mondo style elements (jungle location, murdeous natives). It’s fine if unmemorable, marred by being too slow - two kills in the first hour and ten minutes and some well-intentioned but unconvincing miniature work. Barbara Bach is beautiful as always though not given much to do. Has a touch of repulsive animal abuse at the start that was totally unnecessary.

Eh...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  8. Angelman

Also today the Shout Factory Blu of William Friedkin’s The Guardian - loosely falls under the killer hot nanny subgenre but with a Druid/supernatural angle so... killer trees.

It was very watchable with some good 90s actors but also super odd.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dialed it back a little this weekend, with the NFL draft (closest thing we've had to televised sports in a while), another SNL at home, and 90+ degree weather.

Sharon 1.2.3
    Blazing Saddles
    Bloodsucking Freaks (Last Drive-In)
    Pretty Peaches
    Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot

10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I watched the animated Addams Family movie from last year........ It was fun, man. I highly recommend, especially if you have children. But my wife and I enjoyed it very much (no kids)

11. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

The Eternal (1998) - Annoying, terrible would-be horror movie about an Irish woman revisiting her homeland and discovering a Druid witch wants to take her over. Christopher Walken is in it playing her Irish uncle who is reviving the witch in his basement. Probably the worst horror movie I've seen in a while.

Stranger in Our House (1978) - aka Summer of Fear - Linda Blair's aunt and uncle die in a car crash and her cousin comes to live with her. Terror ensues. Silly TV movie that some may enjoy for its cheeziness. Hilarious to think that Wes Craven made this after Last House on the Left and Hills Have Eyes.

Split Second (1992) - Sci-fi/horror from the director of The Burning. "Over the edge" crazy cop Rutger Hauer searches for a serial killer in a flooded future London but the results are just bland. His sidekick is odd, most of the humor does not land, the setting is underused and irrelevant and the serial killer ridiculous. Definite "turn off your brain" fare.

Mausoleum (1983) - A woman gets possessed by a demon via a family curse. Just OK but loses out in the mausoleum horror movies pantheon to One Dark Night and of course Phantasm. More interesting than the film is the life of lead male actor, Marjoe Gortner who started out as an revivalist minister at age 4 (not a typo) and was the subject of an Oscar-winning documentary in 1972.

Frightmare (1983) - A bad-tempered horror movie star (Ferdy Mayne who played the vampire in Fearless Vampire Killers) dies and his body is stolen by a group of local horror fan students. Then he is somehow revived and slasher hijinks begin. The plot synopsis makes it sound better than it is but fans of 80s slashers could do worse. A mausoleum plays a major part in this movie also and Jeffrey Combs (pre-Reanimator) plays one of the students.

Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974) - Superior Italian giallo (which is not really a giallo) has Mimsy Farmer experiencing disturbing visions linked to her dead parents. Beautiful color scheme in this somewhat murky film with a baffling ending. Highly recommended.

Daughter of Darkness (1948) - Fascinating British Gothic with noir stylings about a young woman who other women don't like and men are strangely attracted to. She gets hounded out of her village after an incident at a carnival but trouble just seems to find her (or does she create the trouble?). Not an overt horror movie but a strangely different type of film that does not try to explain the main character but has a suggestion of things beyond our knowledge. Recommended for those looking for something different, this is available on YouTube.

Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018) - Korean found footage film about a "Ghost Hunters" style show crew entering an abandoned asylum. Possibly the found footage film containing the most cameras, this film is just average but others may enjoy it more. I'm just burnt out on this style of film.

12. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Stuff I've been watching over last couple weeks. Besides I started re-watching 24.

Scarecrows (1988)
    G.I. Joe: The Movie (1987)
    Isle of the Dead (1945)
    Scorpion (1986)
    Empire of the Ants (1977)
    Abomination: The Evilmaker II (2003)
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
    Deliver Us from Evil (2014)
    Triple Impact (1992)
    Delta Force Commando (1988)
    The Demon (1979)
    Stakes (2002)
    The Snow Creature (1954)
    The Children (1980)
    This Darkness: The Vampire Virus (2003)
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm gonna have to put aside this weekend to hit up all the TCM movies on my DVR. Even with all the movies I've watched, it's still got:
    Klute
    Cover Me Babe
    Smithereens
    a Buster Keaton documentary
    Sherlock Jr.
    Hanabi
    Born Losers
    Wild Angels

and it's already programmed to record Shaft and The Super Cops tonight.

14. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Hey, our DVRs match - I recorded most of that. Watched Hana-Bi last night - one of my favorites. Also, Super Cops is a great funny lesser-known cop movie.

15. Angelman

Last few:

The Monster Club Blu-Ray (Scorpion).
    Cute, kid friendly monster anthology with a wrap-around/through story with Vincent Price and John Carradine. Feels like a TV movie version of Creepshow but with 100% more bad 80s new wave bands.

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane Blu Ray (Kino)
    What an outstanding, unique, dark little film. Jodie Foster is amazing as usual and Martin Sheen is all creep menace. It plays like a twisted stage play and feels like a spiritual cousin to films like Lemora and Let the Right One In in the sense that it doesn’t dumb down the inner lives of kids. Highly recommended.

Disconnected Blu Ray (Vinegar Syndrome)
    Weird blend of slasher and psychological thriller done on no budget. Oddly watchable even though it feels like a 70s student film.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've actually never seen Hanabi. I can't remember if I've seen The Super Cops.

Of that DVR list, the only movies I've actually seen already are Klute (10 years ago, so I've forgotten a lot), Sherlock Jr. (but really, can you ever get tired of watching Buster Keaton?), and Born Losers. So a lot of first time watches coming up. Yes, even Shaft. I've heard he's a bad mother...

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Buster Keaton documentary was great. If I didn't have limited DVR space, I'd have kept it on, so many of Keaton's great gags are there. Also one Fatty Arbuckle cigarette gag I watched at least 3-4 times. Great celebrity participation, even Johnny Knoxville. Would have liked Jackie Chan, even with his limited English, but at least they showed Chan's Project A Part II stunt taken directly from Steamboat Bill Jr. They also showed Keaton falling through several awnings, just like Chan would later do in Project A. I knew the beginning part of that stunt by Chan (the clock tower) came from Harold Lloyd but I didn't know the fall was from Keaton.

Born Losers is way too long and talky for a biker flick. No way should a biker movie flirt with the 2-hour mark.

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Requoting. Did you also DVR Smithereens? I watched that last night. Depressing, downer movie, but really good. I love those "downward spiral" movies. This would be a great double-bill with Panic in Needle Park, or maybe Times Square (haven't watched that one in a long time though). I'll be getting the recent Blu from Criterion.

Also, if you're a Law & Order fan, look for Chris "Detective Logan" Noth as a transvestite prostitute(!)

19. Angelman

Psychos in Love Blu Ray (Vinegar Syndrome)
    I liked Disconnected but this was just bad. Stale gags, unfunny attempts at serial killer(s) relationship humor. CHEAP. The horror/gore felt lifeless and uninspired and was weakened by lame attempts at comedy. Managed to not succeed at being any of the things it was trying to be.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

^ Yeah, if I didn't like redheads (I do), not sure I would have made it all the way to the end.

Angelman likes this.