Making MJ's Thriller - No better release?

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Jul 14, 2020.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I had this VHS as a kid. Apparently a lot of people did, as it was really popular. I thought by now, surely, this famous doc would have gotten a better release. The Thriller video is iconic and so is Landis's work on it. Is there really nothing out there except the old VHS?

[​IMG]

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

There is a beautiful restoration of Michael Jackson's Thriller music video that screened theatrically (and in 3D!) before Eli Roth's The House With A Clock In Its Walls. I went opening weekend to the 10PM Sunday night screening, and since it was a children's movie, I had the entire IMAX theater to myself! I loved seeing the music video on the big screen, and it looked incredible! The 3D made it super fun too. I wish they would put this version up on YouTube, the VEVO one they have up is terrible quality.

On the subject of John Landis, I recently watch the Cursed Films episode on Twilight Zone: The Movie. It's astounding to me that his career didn't miss a beat following the famous Twilight Zone incident. The incident happened on July 23rd, 1982 and Trading Places went into production that December. Thriller was filmed October 1983. Not even 5 months later and he already had another directing gig.

Keep in mind, his trial for the Twilight Zone incident where he was exonerated (although he probably shouldn't have been!) ended in May of 1987, five years after it happened. So during that time where he was still awaiting trial, he was allowed to make Into The Night, Spies Like Us, and Three Amigos. Crazy!

Even aside from that incident, John Landis kind of sounds like a real scumbag, and his son Max didn't fall far from the asshole tree. Gross people.

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'll always love this video. I love the old theater they used - lol at the posters! The music mix was cool - that extended beat before the Vincent Price rap and then the dance sequence music - all cool. Anyone know if there was a single of this mix or was it the video only?

4. The Joker

Wow this looks pretty incredible. Need the full thing!

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I remember the Thriller and Beat It jackets were popular back then. I think I saw the Beat It jacket and remember the zippers were only for show. They didn't have pockets. I never owned the VHS. Thriller was on TV so much I never had to.

6. The Joker

To be clear, this isn't the music video itself I'm looking for; it's the featurette about making the video.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Pretty sure the behind-the-scenes doc was edited on video, so any master is only going to be SD. And my guess is the music licensing since it has a bunch of MJ tracks/videos featured for re-release, especially a stand-alone release, is what's really what's preventing it from getting out there on any other licensed format.

8. The Joker

You're probably right. Just kinda sucks. I may have to settle for a VHS-DVD transfer.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

It was on laserdisc, so that would be a little better quality than vhs ;)

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

All things Thriller, including Making Michael Jackson's Thriller, point to Michael Jackson's estate.

[​IMG]

The Joker likes this.
  11. The Joker

Alas, I have no way to play laserdisc. :(

12. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

That was on TV all the time too. I remember a scene with them testing the makeup.