Last nail in the coffin for independent US movie theaters?

Discussion in 'General' started by sinister, Aug 11, 2020.

1. sinister

sinister Active Member

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes, and I agree Disney is the most likely company to start its own chain; ironically for the first time as RKO was their film distributor during that by-gone era. They have more brick and mortar experience with Disney Parks, Disney Stores and have a strict vault policy for theatrical rental. They are not only the film studio most ready and able to act upon this they have also been actively taking steps to lay a foundation for that. They've also been hammering theaters for a larger portion of the opening weekend percentages and the week over week and have begun rolling back 20th Century Fox's back catalog of films for theatrical rental. Their recent financial trouble with COVID-19 shutting down almost all their revenue streams may be the only thing to slow them down; while also spurring them to speed up to grab a larger share of theatrical revenue and strike their opponents while they're also already down.

But I'm not sure how this would truly affect small independent theaters. Many make do without Disney already. Large scale chains would see the largest reduction of revenue as Disney's films have consistently been the majority of top 10 box office releases they past few years. They would see the largest drop in ticket sales if Disney, Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel and even Fox franchises like Avatar were not only unavailable to them but only available down the street from them. And have a bunch of screens to fill.

Small theaters will just have a smaller number of block busters to pick from (if they could aford it to begin with) and with Disney off the screens other studios may be more encouraged to directly compete or counter program. Overall I don't like it, it's just about the last thing struggling theaters need right now.