Kong: Skull Island

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Son of a bitch, I left before the end of the credits. Anyone want to spoil it for me?

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Far better than expected--I absolutely LOVED that they didn't do a beat-for-beat remake like Peter Jackson's take. It was a whole new story, basically, with "Kong from Skull Island" being the only given.

Having jizzed sufficiently here, the first 15 minutes or so I found to be almost unwatchable. The writing was so terrible that I regretted buying my ticket at first. Once they get to the island, however, it was fucking amazing. I can't wait to buy it on blu so I can forward past the beginning.

baggio and Steel76 like this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

James and Mason, get the information that there are more giant creatures on the island, and we get to see cave paintings of Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah, doing battle with each other. Followed by Godzilla' s roar, when it fades to black :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    wago70 likes this.
  4. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Damn. Can't wait to see this. You guys are getting me excited.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Going on the reaction from Steel76, MisterTwister, and Myron Breck it sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Caught a late night 3D viewing of this. Very entertaining. Don't think I have much to add that hasn't already been said......glad I saw it in 3D, don't think I would have enjoyed it half as much as I did......and an added bonus, my local Cinemark just recently replaced all their seats. ALL seats are now big leather recliners with twice as much leg room. It was fucking fantastic.

Steel76 and Hatchetwarrior like this.
  7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Loved it. Much better than Godzilla.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this one as well. Hope everyone stays through the end credits. Steel76 mentions what happens but it really made my day seeing it. Also while a huge portion of the film was CGI it was very well done. This one should be seen in the theater.

Steel76 and baggio like this.
  9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Glad you all liked it :)
    The 1933 version is one of my all time favorite movies, and I'm happy that the reboot delivered the goods :)

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just saw Kong:Skull Island and I was not disappointed. Really enjoyed the film. It felt like it was the summer and I was watching one of those July releases. Beyond what was said already I will add some stuff. Loved the soundtrack, the CGI was excellent, Kong look great. And my personal opinion of the beginning of the film was really good too. It set up the adventure, I had no problems with it. Also it was refreshing to not have a bunch of jerk characters. You know the people you say, oh he's dying next. Just about everybody you cared about even if it was just a little.

The theater was pack, which was nice. Funny, 95% of the audience left before the credits were done. Now I will say it was a long wait. Unlike the Marvel ones where they cut into the extra stuff about half way through. This one was all the way to the end. But it was worth it. And it revealed beyond what I thought they may show. I don't no whoever stayed for the ending saw this be right before the last few sentences, it said something about .... blah,blah,blah ... licensed by such and such. That was a teaser to the teaser. ;)

One more thing. Besides doing a good job on acting, Brie Larson looked beautiful in this film.

russweiss and Steel76 like this.
  11. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Just got back...I feel like a kid again...saw it in Imax 3D and had a blast! Terrific fight scene at the end. Brie is a hottie...surprised Kong didn't fall for her:D

Steel76 likes this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Possible Spoiler: The sentence said something to the effect of Godzilla, Ghidrah, Rodan, and Mothra and licensed to Toho.

13. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Kong: Skull Island is awesome! However awesome you think it might be, double that. It's beautiful to look at, funny w/o being too jokey, has many cool and surprising creatures, and is chock full of action and carnage. Imax 3-D recommended! Oh, and be sure to stay to the very end for a great post-credits scene.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I saw this last night and sadly can't share in the enthusiasm. The action scenes looked great and were well done, particularly the end throwdown. My main issue was the movie had a lot of character's and pretty much no character development.
    My favourite character was John C Reilly because he actually had an arc that I could emotionally connect with. He was also quite funny and easily the highlight for me. Most of the other characters were so one dimensional that you don't feel anything for them when they're in danger. Brie Larson was great to look at but all we got from her character was that she takes photos. Tom Hiddleston had some cool action scenes but again, he's just there to mainly be a pretty face with no depth. John Goodman's performance was great but they didn't give him a lot to work with. Same with Samuel L Jackson.
    I honestly felt more for the CGI creatures getting gunned down most of the time. It was odd.
    Also, where we're the dinosaurs? We see a Triceratops skull at one point but the closest thing we get to living dinos is the Skull Crawlers. Part of what made the original Skull Island so cool was that it was a Jurassic world. Also the best part of Peter Jackson's Kong was the fight between Kong and the T-Rex's and I honestly don't think anything in this new movie tops that scene.

I didn't hate this new one but I didn't love it either. I was honestly bored at times (due to the poor character development) and by the end I felt drained. I'd rate it a C+.

Workshed and Natas like this.
  15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The movie ended without knowing really one thing about Brie's character. She was literally only present for her boobs to be on display. The lack of character development didn't take anything away for me though, I thought it was pretty funny. And I'd prefer that style than the overly character driven Godzilla from a couple years ago.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Meh you can't win 'em all. I got exactly what I wanted out it and that's all that matters to me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Saw this today and thought it was OUTSTANDING. Loved every minute of it. I cannot wait until Godzilla 2 rolls around.

Steel76 and MisterTwister like this.
  18. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Made some monster cash over the weekend...

19. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed with Zombie Dude. I thought that the Kong creature looked great throughout, and the action scenes were very, very cool to watch. John C. Reilly had the only character arc, and it was a good one (he had fantastic lines and really captured a difficult tone of humor/sadness/mania).

The rest? Fairly mediocre to downright bad. Samuel L. Jackson sleepwalked through this, and I don't blame him--no character motivation, and he spends the film saying things like, 'We have to go this one way. People died because we went this one way? Don't care, because we will continue to go this one way!' Everything that befalls the military group occurs because of one character's inexplicable stupidity. He makes terrible decisions because the writers couldn't come up with a reason for things to happen unless he acted that way.

Hiddleston and Brie were there as eye candy, and that's fine, but wow, they were given nothing to do. When Hiddleston becomes a swordmaster in slo-mo? Funny but unintentionally so. The Asian and African-American scientists? Why were they there? John Goodman was wasted in this, and his first 15 minutes were bizarrely choppy.

Outside of Kong and the outstanding helicopter battle, I didn't really care for the effects. The 'Northern Lights' looked very dated, as did the 'backdrop' effects; the 'skull' creatures were unimaginably designed. The soundtrack was equally boring: 'Hey, we have characters running through a jungle. You know what song we could play to that?' Boring choices all around.

Understandably so, the emphasis on this film was the Kong creature and effects, and to that extent, it was a success. Really, Kong looked awesome. The scene where Kong battles the squid was thrilling. The rest of this film was all in service to the CGI creature, no matter the cost to other effects, plot, character development and/or motivations.

I'm glad others enjoyed it, and I hope John C. Reilly shows up in more blockbusters.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I can agree that many of the acting roles were sparse at best and that character development was minimal except for Reilly's role, but I also think that those complaints are somewhat misguided. The film is an action pic. Nobody is going to be receiving an Oscar nod for their work here, except maybe for special effects, sound, etc.. Kong, and Kong only is the star of this film. No acting ability was needed..LOL. Just his mere presence was enough. Honestly, if you are looking at this film and judging it based on character development, acting ability and overall writing, your missing the point. It's an action film..period, and on that front, it more than delivered.

MisterTwister, Steel76 and Natas like this.