King Kong Vs Godzilla reboot

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Sep 15, 2015.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm sure the film will play it completely safe and appease fans of both monsters. I really enjoyed Godzilla 2 with those mean spirited monsters in all their dimly lit glory.
    I'm just absolutely SICK to death of the Gotta-Rescue-My-Kid/Wife elements to these American reboots.

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I absolutely hated King of the Monsters, and this looks like more of the same. I'm sure I'll watch it, and I hope I'm wrong. But Kong with a lightning axe? Ugh. Maybe Godzilla will get some nunchucks in the next one.

sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Well, this sure as fuck was the best of the US made Godzilla movies.
    This one reminds me a lot of the late 80:s/early 90:s Godzilla movies.
    It's filled with cheesy fun.

The monster mayhem is truly epic, and compared to the first two, they don't hide the battle in smoke and darkness.
    Everything is much easier to follow, and they focus MUCH more on the monster fights.
    Definitely got the best city destruction of the US reboot.

You can tell that Adam Wingard is a fan of Godzilla movies, and knows what fans really want.
    Hell, even the title logo looks like one from the 80:s/90:s films.

As a long time Godzilla fan, this was a fucking wet dream!
    I hope Adam directs more films in the series.

Edit: Can someone please change the title of the thread to "Godzilla vs Kong"?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    fattyjoe37 and hots4 like this.
  4. Steel76

None of that in this one :D

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Well, someone at WB finally watched "Pacific Rim"

6. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

And made a movie almost as bombastically bad as Pacific Rim. I've never been much of a Godzilla fan, but GvK is absolutely nothing special IMHO. By the time the CGI monsters got around to fighting I felt there were no stakes, that it didn't matter who won or lost because it never mattered why they were fighting to begin with. As for the director... I think The Guest is awesome.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Steel76

I don't wanna spoil anything, but both titans sure had their reasons to fight.

If your not a fan of these films, I can understand why you don't like it.

But I'll be surprised if Godzilla fans don't like it, because this has everything a FUN Godzilla movie needs. Cheesy sci-fi plot and lots of monster mayhem :D

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It’s missing guys in suits.

9. Steel76

Sure, it would be fun, but with the mayhem and stunts going on in this one, it just wouldn't work anymore.
    The 2000 movies took the suits as far as it could go, and even then they had to use CGI in some scenes.
    If I want guys in suits, I'll just watch the old ones ;)

10. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My favorite of the American Monsterverse. For me it had better action, pace, and human stories than the previous 3 films.

othervoice1 and Steel76 like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Just saw this and thought it was awful.

I agree with everything but Pacific Rim being bad. It has some lame acting and character moments but the monster / mech mayham is spot on and exciting. Plus it looks amazing.
    Godzilla vs Kong looks fake and cheesy in comparison.

sade likes this.
  12. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I hold Pacific Rim pretty high as an American kaiju film. Yeah, the lead is pretty bad. But I really loved everything else. My only real complaint with the film was that it peaked in the middle. But oh lord what a peak. I still cheer inside every time the robot shows up dragging the cargo ship.

And, yes, Kong v. Godzilla is easily the best of this recent batch of big monster movies. By a long shot. But, I still found it pretty weak overall. I really liked The Guest and You're Next. So, as a fan, I'll say the director did get what makes these films fun more than anyone else in either franchise. But even compared to the kaiju films that Japan was putting out 20 years ago, it was still missing that sense of scale that really makes these work for me. I went back and watched the original fight from Godzilla v. Mechagodzilla and it still managed to get me more invested than this latest one did. And that Japanese one is far from the best the franchise has had to offer.

As a big improvement, I really did like the Kong-side humans more than any other characters that have popped up in these movies. I could have done without all of the Godzilla-side humans. Oh, and the score was very very good with a few nice call-backs to the original music

And the fact that they cribbed so much from Pacific Rim only made it more easy to make the comparison and come up lacking.

13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They made a Godzilla film look fake and cheesy? How dare they when all of the others have been so realistic?

othervoice1 likes this.
  14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I watched this Friday night and really enjoyed it - but I liked all the movies in this series. Leave your brain at the door and have fun

15. wago70

Haha - to be honest, they have millions of $$$ to pour into computer effects whereas back in the day...
    There's no excuse for bad effects on these studio blockbusters (or for pulling back and teasing like that horrid 2014 Gareth Edwards outing). The effects look good to me in the trailers. I do, however, get annoyed with that same murky color scheme and it seems - from the trailers - some of G and K's fight choreography looks inspired by the current superhero flicks. I'm not sure if I'll see this straight away, though. I only just saw KONG SKULL ISLAND (those rock monsters look like they're from outer space and not organic to earth) and I finally watched all of SHIN GODZILLA beginning to end and loved it.
    I liked the effects in PACIFIC RIM - although it's funny when the computer generated monster looks at the camera and does that head wiggle/roar combo.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

If you read my post properly I did say "in comparison" and was referring to Pacific Rim as that comparison. That film looked incredible and the monsters were breathtaking.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I thought it was ok. Monster action was fun, story was a complete bag of shit. The ending was also a bit anti-climatic.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I absolutely hate blockbuster movies that insist on revolving everything around some fucking kids. I didn't make it very far in this one before turning it off.

I'm glad that the hardcore Godzilla fans seem to have really enjoyed it.

sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. sade

sade Active Member

The worst example that comes to mind is Jurassic World.

20. wago70

I mean-uhhh...I will see this sometime (not in a current theaters) because I love those monster movies. In spite of the annoying tropes the trailers stress, I love a good monster flick ya know? I have gotten around to seeing many that I thought I would avoid for certain. I saw the Gareth Edwards GODZILLA in full last year (with the contrast boosted). S*it - I watched the 1998 GODZILLA movie on Netflix over and over last year simply because it took me back to a time when there wasn't a killer virus attacking mankind. Same with that CLOVERFIELD thing. I didn't love them, at all, but they were a good distraction (along with other 90's horror movies like "GOOD BURGER", "THE RUNAWAY BRIDE" and "CAN'T HARDLY WAIT") from 2020. I watched the hell out of JURASSIC PARK 3 on Netflix as well. Now that movie I really enjoyed.
    I'll be the first one to say, as a movie-goer: I'm nothing special and I'm definitely NOT the target market so I'm not one who can contribute to the success of a movie other than to compare it with something from the past (spoiler: Vintage/Retro wins every time)
    I know this isn't really making a point - and that's the point.
    I keep planning on seeing the sequel to INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996) and after the first 10 minutes I just can't. I think my biggest turn off is my absolute disgust at current movie trends. I probably need to make my peace with the fact that some movie MUST have that murky green/yellow/amber/orange/cyan color scheme or they will not register with movie audiences in this current age.
    After enjoying SKULL ISLAND (I HATED the yellow-tinged photography), I'll see this one sometime...but when? King Kong changes each movie. He's not even the same character he was since the 1933 movie. I loved that one! I remember seeing KING KONG 1976 opening weekend - yes - 5 years old standing in the freezing cold outside a downtown theater in Reno, Nevada waiting for "the return". You have never seen a more bored kid as the movie played out - and back then I watched EVERYTHING. I volunteered to go to the concession stand to buy popcorn and cokes for everyone if they didn't want to leave their seat and watch the movie. My parents still remember that one - the monster movie fan in the family bored by King Kong 1976.
    I'm glad these movies are being made - and not the embarrassment of the studios they used to be back in the 70's and 80's. Still - I'm waiting for that one film from Hollywood that can create some new essence - bridge that gap between the obnoxious current movie making trends with the charming aspects of yesteryear without pulling back and "teasing" (if you have MILLIONS OF $$$ to make the movie, don't rely on the notion that "well, the 1960 movies only had a few minutes of Godzilla action, too..." defense.)
    Is this that movie?