Horror Streaming Screambox vs Shudder etc

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It does open with the WB logo. But after that, and the prologue, I saw the aspect ratio* wasn't gonna get fixed so I turned it off.

*EDIT: I wanna fix my comment that the aspect ratio was off. The aspect ratio was correct (scope), but the image size was greatly reduced. That was my problem with the stream. I technically could have zoomed in the image, but with a loss of resolution.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    X-human likes this.
  2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I watched 'Lucky' on Shudder last night. It's got to be one of my most hated movies in a while. I appreciate the whole 'meta' idea but it just didn't work here, for me nothing worked. It was such a slog to sit through and it was only 80 mins long. Anyone else here seen it? What were your thoughts on it?

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I saw it back in October when SHUDDER sneak previewed it, and wrote my thoughts in this thread (it's on page 3).

4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thanks, I remember seeing a comment somewhere but couldn't remember if it was here or another website. So far I've not seen a favourable review for this anywhere.

5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Some more trailers:

"The Violation" (3/25)

"The Power" (4/8)

"The Banishing" (4/15)

6. CPT HOOK

Reminder that Koko-Di Koko-Da was added to SHUDDER today. I saw this at a virtual film festival last summer and loved it (review here). Highly recommended.

Also added today is Slaxx, a 75 minute Canadian horror movie about a killer pair of jeans.

Colin likes this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Unfortunately we don't get Koko-Di Koko-Da here in the UK :(

I am however gonna be watching the killer jeans movie, it sounds fun!

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I just watched Slaxx, it's OK, if your going in thinking this is a troma esc type movie you will be very disappointed, it's got some gore but it's more about the social commentary. It's also short so doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  9. CPT HOOK

I wasn't crazy about Slaxx either. It should have been a lot better. As mentioned, at least it was short. Didn't dislike it, just thought it was okay.

I kind of dug Stay Out Of The Fucking Attic though. It's pretty cheap and low-brow, but it kept my interest and didn't skimp on the crazy. It's also pretty short. I don't think I'd buy it or watch it again, but it was a decent SHUDDER watch.

10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I watched Slaxx last night and thought it was okay, not anything super remarkable. I actually think the clip during the end credits that shows the girl in the green screen suit making the pants dance was more entertaining than anything that happened in the movie. I found the director's earlier movie Graveyard Alive to be much more fun - although I haven't seen it in like 15 years.

I watched Koko-di today and it starts out good enough. The first 15 minutes were good and the happy birthday scene was devastating, but I didn't like the rest of the movie. I didn't care for the characters or the puppet scenes, I found the time loop scenes unsatisfying, and I felt the movie was too slow overall. There were also some artsy touches that I found annoying, like the several shots that lasted way longer than they should've (the House of 1,000 Corpses style static crane shots for example). I yelled out "...and cut!" at one point. I basically checked out completely once she wakes up in the snow and then proceeds to follow a cat through the woods for what felt like forever (and then turns into a different actor). Sorry, Cpt, I know you loved this one, but I just couldn't get into it.

11. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Got to play a little catch up recently.

Stay Out of the Attic: Defiantly a frustrating watch. The film tries very hard to play both ends against the middle and comes up way short. on one hand, it doesn't want to go all in with its social commentary, and on the other it doesn't want to go full on, exploitation schlock. So the tone really flounders, and I think if they just went balls to the walls b-movie it could of been way more fun. The acting is serviceable - with the exception of Michael Flynn who looked like he was having a blast playing the lead villain - and so was the direction, but I was never emotionally invested. It didn't help matters that I kept thinking of Wes Craven's "People Under the Stairs" by way of "Ash vs. Evil Dead" and how I'd much rather be watching the two instead of this. The twist ending is kind of absurd and unnecessary, but overall I wanted more. (4/10)

Slaxx: I was taken aback by how much I ended up enjoying this one, even if it's imperfect. Slaxx, at a mere 75 minutes, feels a bit overlong for what it was trying to accomplish. Had they condescend the runtime down to about 40 minutes or so this would have worked as a great modern day episode of "Tales from the Crypt". In stead they try to be too smart and incorporate social commentary about consumer culture and sweat shop labor that feels a bit forced and out of place. Unlike "Stay Out of the Attic" this film is acutely aware of how absurd its premise is and doesn't shy away from it, making for an entertaining ride. The characters are pretty one note, but the film benefits from having a charismatic cast that breathes life into the film. The special effects - both practical and digital - were quite impressive for a low budget film. A solid horror comedy overall, but I'm sure this will lose some luster on multiable viewings. (6/10)

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

13. CPT HOOK

This looks super fun. Coming April 22nd:

Colin and Natas like this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Watched Violation last night. Spoiler-free review. Interesting entry in the rape/revenge genre. Photography is flat-out gorgeous, with many close-ups of nature's predators like wolves and spiders. Several scenes go on extremely long with absolutely no camera movement, while the characters have non-relevant conversations like about high school teachers, or their parents. This is then contrasted when the violence happens, and rather than quick cuts to make the action more high paced, it still remains static and you become a fly on the wall watching some seriously nasty stuff happen. Finally, I know a lot of people here like male nudity in their films, especially since horror so often only shows disrobed females. Well I have to say, Violation wins the prize in that category, and I'll leave it at that. I wondered why Shudder still needed to have a disclaimer about the sexual content of Violation at the beginning, but it was quickly evident why.

Not a movie I'd need to own, or even watch again, but it's definitely a well-made film that's worth a viewing, as well as justifying the monthly Shudder fee.

soxfan666 and Colin like this.
  15. CPT HOOK

Watched Violation and felt it stretched itself too thin to have much of an impact. This could be a strong 80 minute movie, but at nearly 110 mins it drags. It has great atmosphere, and the two leads really go for it (Madeleine Sims-Fewer, who also co-wrote and co-directed, and Jesse LaVercombe), but I was bored for stretches. I guess any movie dealing with sexual assault warrants a trigger warning, but I also didn't find the movie as graphic as SHUDDER's opening disclaimer might suggest. The rape scene is shot entirely of non-descript close-ups, so you really don't see anything (which isn't a bad thing). The on-screen violence is pretty mild compared to a lot of what you'll find on the streaming service. I have to assume the SHUDDER curators were concerned about the male frontal nudity. I mean, they do show an erect penis for a few seconds, but I wonder if they'd put the same disclaimer in front of, say, Don't Go In The House where full-frontal female nudity is on display while a woman is hung from the ceiling and burned alive?