Horror Streaming Screambox vs Shudder etc

Discussion in 'General' started by othervoice1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

So I've been on Shudder about a month now and so far, so good. A good varied selection from newer stuff like Lake Mungo to titles like Slaughter Hotel and Burial Ground, which I watched this weekend. I've only watched on Apple TV so can only speak for that but the streaming quality has been excellent.

The real question will be after my year is up will they have added enough new titles to make it worth renewing. We'll see but so far it's a thumbs up for me.

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I've been a member for about a year and a half. I get an email each week with their new stuff. Content has not been an issue at all. I use a Roku and my IPad and both have been excellent quality.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Last year, a few of Shudder's most mediocre movies made it to blu-ray: Found Footage 3D, Dead Shack, Don't Grow Up. I wasn't expecting more since they lead with some of their weaker titles.

It looks like several more will be making their way to physical media from October - December:

October 8th:
    Ruin Me DVD
    Gwen Blu-ray or DVD
    Last Ones Out DVD

October 15th:
    The Noonday Witch Blu-ray

November 12th:
    Small Town Killers Blu-ray

December 3rd:
    Christmas Presence DVD
    Boar DVD

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have no idea how they chose which ones are getting blu-rays, but go figure, the only one I want to own is DVD only (Ruin Me). How disappointing and random. I can't imagine the movies they did select for blu-ray flying off the shelves.

Still no Lake Bodom or Downrange, but this gives me hope. Of course, I guarantee those will be DVD only as well.

Workshed and othervoice1 like this.
  4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Where's "Terrified" ?!?! Creepiest movie I've seen in years. Really hoping that comes to disc.

Workshed, othervoice1 and hots4 like this.
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't know if we have a dedicated Shudder thread, but I watched "Belzebuth" over the weekend. Yeah, skip it...

6. CPT HOOK

^ I watched Tigers Are Not Afraid on Shudder over the weekend and thought it was pretty great! It reminded me a lot of The Devil's Backbone.

It might help to not approach it as a horror movie though. There is definitely a supernatural element, but it's not really the primary focus of the movie.

It's also incredibly short, I think the credits were rolling before the 80 minute mark.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Tigers is on my list. It got a one-off theatrical screening at the local micro-cinema here.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught Tigers at a film fest last year and it is nothing short of amazing, powerful, and absolutely shattering. Was my second favourite film from last year. Highly, highly recommended!

Workshed likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

The latest SHUDDER DVD release is a glossy teen slasher (my favorite) titled Party Hard Die Young:

IMG_20200423_141847.jpg
    IMG_20200423_141925.jpg

Wal-Mart carries the DVD for $9.96, but since Wal-Mart seems like the worst possible place to go in a global pandemic, I was able to get it from Amazon for the same price.

There's also a burn-on-demand BD-R released, but I opted for the pressed DVD with the glow-in-the-dark slipcover.

Looking forward to checking this out!

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

We recently subscribed to shudder and have been watching a series called 'cursed Filns'.

So far from what I've seen they have covered: The Exorcist, Poltergeist and The Omen, which have been enjoyable.

I'm interested in their coverage of the next two, The Crow and in particular Twilight Zone the movie.

From what I've seen so far well worth a watch if your already subscribed.

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I watched The Crow episode, pretty depressing stuff, but interesting. Not sure how I didn't know that Michael Berryman was originally going to be in the movie. The suit they made for him was pretty cool though it kinda looked like that cowboy dude from House II.

I'll have to check out the rest of the episodes soon.

12. CPT HOOK

You're in luck. Terrified is coming to blu-ray September 1st:

[​IMG]

Two other Shudder originals, Blood Quantum and Z, are being released on blu-ray the same day.

Also on the Shudder DVD release roster:
    New release: The Marshes
    July 7th: Belzebuth
    July 21st: The Room and DeadTectives
    August 4th: Satan's Slaves
    August 18th: Prevenge (also on blu-ray)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lake Bodom is the one I've been waiting on, so of course that isn't in the lineup.

Oh, and I need to add, I LOVED Party Hard, Die Young! If anyone is in the mood for a fun slasher movie, that one delivers!

Natas likes this.
  13. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Good news, haven't seen it but it is on my hit list.

Now if NetFlix would do the same with Apostle, Dark, and Okja.

I know, fat chance.

14. CPT HOOK

Lake Of Death coming to SHUDDER on Thursday, July 16th.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Looks much like Dead by Daylight's killer The Legion.

[​IMG]

16. CPT HOOK

I'm not familiar with that, but I thought Party Hard, Die Young was one of the most entertaining modern teen slashers I've seen in a while. Highly recommended.

SHUDDER also just announced the meta-slasher Random Acts Of Violence starring Jesse Williams, Jordana Brewster, and Jay Baruchel (who also directed), which premieres on the service on August 20th.

17. CPT HOOK

Even though I could have easily just watched either movie on SHUDDER, I went ahead and blind-bought yesterday's new SHUDDER DVD releases: The Room and DeadTectives

They were $9.96 each, which is cheap enough.

IMG_20200722_141953.jpg

I watched The Room last night, starring Bond girl Olga Kurylenko and Revenge's very naked villain Kevin Janssens. It was a pretty cool little movie. It reminded me a bit of Mike Flanagan's terrific Before I Wake, and while this one is not as good, it does put more emphasis on the twists and thrills. Kurylenko and Janssens play a couple who move into a house where the previous tenants were murdered, and there they discover a room that can make their every materialistic wish come true. Having difficulty conceiving, the couple asks for a child, but soon discovers that anything they wish for dissolves into ash the moment it leaves the house, making them unable to leave the house with their new baby. Twists and turns abound. I really enjoyed it, worth checking out for fans of Twilight Zone-ish horror.

Haven't had a chance to watch DeadTectives yet, but it was co-written by David Clayton Rogers, who played Jamie-Lynn Sigler's boyfriend in the slasher movie Dark Ride.

I also watched Lake Of Death last weekend. Beautiful cast, locations, cinematography make this one a super easy watch. That said, the events of the movie are as cookie cutter as it gets (teens go to a cabin in the woods, find weird things in the basement, something in the lake, car won't start, etc).

othervoice1 likes this.
  18. CPT HOOK

Colin likes this.
  19. CPT HOOK

Trailer for Spiral:

Premieres September 17th.

Natas and m@ggot like this.
  20. Christy

Christy Active Member

Is screambox worth getting?