Hell Fest - In Theaters September 28th, 2018

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 18, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This movie has been in development for years, with Neil Marshall attached at one point.

It finally got made and will be hitting theaters on September 28th from CBS / LionsGate.

First trailer below:

Myron Breck likes this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I worked as an extra in March. Looking forward to checking this out.

othervoice1 and Erick H. like this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Looks fun, nice too see a fair bit of theatrical horror getting released this year around halloween season.

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I guess "killer" theme parks/fests are the new thing in horror with this and the similarly titled and themed Blood Fest coming out...?

5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Concept looks intriguing - I'm in. This decade has produced some pretty good pseudo-slashers, such as The Town That Dreaded Sundown and The Strangers 2. Just cause it ain't golden age doesn't mean I won't give it a chance.

6. CPT HOOK

I'm just excited we are veering back into slasher movies and away from boring ghost movies.

Excited for both Hell Fest and Blood Fest.

Natas likes this.
  7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

They released a new "throwback" trailer for this, which doesn't really make sense because I don't think this is supposed to take place in the past. Decent trailer though, and I think they completely nailed the voiceover. It sounds just like an old Halloween or Friday the 13th trailer. A lot of these recent movies that go for a retro look, or just make trailers that look like they're from the 80s get the voice wrong and it always bugs me.

Steel76 and othervoice1 like this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I went to this knowing virtually nothing about it. No trailers or other sources. Only knew that it was a horror film. It was nice going to see a rated R horror film but honestly short of two kills the film could have gotten a PG-13. No real surprises or scares for me. The ending was a bit baffling too. Guess they are hoping for a sequel. This is opening day and there were only 3 other people in the theater.

CPT HOOK, othervoice1 and fceurich39 like this.
  9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I went to an early matinee this afternoon and I was the ONLY person in the theatre. I will say I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would given the reviews aren't great so far and there really hasn't been any promotion of it.

First the bad - the plot is almost non existent - the writing is a bit lazy and like russweiss said it isn't all that gory except for maybe a couple kills. It is a pretty generic by the numbers slasher movie.

The good - visually it looked great. I felt like I was getting a tour through a really awesome Halloween festival/event. The atmosphere was great and a lot to look at. The actors/actresses were pretty good although they didnt have much to work with - but I liked them especially the lead girl. And Tony Todd was in it.

The ending I was kind of in-between on - it was kinda generic but also interesting - I have seen worse.

I know it wont be for everyone but I had fun with it and would watch it again - just don't expect anything new and exciting.

CPT HOOK, Natas, Myron Breck and 2 others like this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I agree on all accounts good sir.

I really liked all the attention to detail with the props. Virtually the entire film takes place at Hell Fest. And I think they nailed the Halloween attraction vibe. Definitely the best aspect of Hell Fest.....

CPT HOOK likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

I don't think this did very well at the box office. It's already leaving theaters here on Thursday.

Going to catch the late showing tonight while I still can!

12. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Blind bought blood fest today will get hell fest in a few months when it hits home.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

I completely forgot yesterday was $5 Tuesday, the absolute worst possible night to go to the movies. Fucking teenagers EVERYWHERE talking the entire movie, but fortunately the movie drowned them out for the most part.

Anyway, I love the slasher genre and I especially love when the genre goes back to basics. This may have been a little too basic. It also might be one of the tamest R-rated slasher films I've seen, and it might even have the lowest body count. There are two somewhat creative kills, each with gore shown for a split second. The rest are all bloodless stabbings. I'm surprised they didn't drop the f-words and release this as a PG-13 given the success of Happy Death Day and Truth Or Dare (and the fact that this is an extremely teen-centric horror film). Kudos to them for keeping the R-rating though.

So, the basic. Six teenagers, all fairly likable. A motiveless, faceless killer. This is not a whodunit, this is just a guy in a mask who stalks at random. Really cool carnival setting. With only six main characters, there is an extremely long time between kills, and as I mentioned before, only two deliver the goods.

What keeps the movie afloat is the atmosphere. Aside from two scenes, one at the very beginning and one at the very end, the entire movie is set inside Hell Fest. It's pretty much akin to going through a haunted attraction yourself. The movie is kept under 90 minutes, which is perfect for this type of movie, so when all is said and done, it has that same effect. I dug that.

I was a bit surprised by the fact they had two final girls, especially since the body count was already so sparse. Whatever though, I can roll with it.

As for the slasher part, this is fairly generic stuff. And it was 110% made for teenagers. 2006's Dark Ride is a much better slasher movie and way more fun. It's just harmless fluff though. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't slasher-movie obsessed like I am, but I'm glad I got to see it before it left theaters, especially during the month of October when my mindset is all things Halloween.

othervoice1 and fceurich39 like this.
  14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The plot and kills were fairly standard, with the only standout being a very Fulci-esque stabbing. I think where this film really excelled is in photography, lighting, and set design. It was really pretty to look at.

othervoice1 likes this.