Glass (2019, M.Night Shyamalan)

Discussion in 'General' started by Steel76, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

buck135 likes this.
  2. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I like Unbreakable, so I'll give it a shot. However, I don't see what the big deal about Split is. I find it empty and irritating.

3. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Looks like the Bruce Willis character is in chains?!?

4. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I wasn't that crazy about Split either. I think I posted a short review.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

How about a couple of trailers: :)

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I'm certainly intrigued. Like many, I still think Unbreakable is a great film. I liked Split well enough. But, the real treat of both films was not really knowing what they were, i.e. comic book movies. I'm curious as to whether a story would work when we already know what the trick is. Shyamalan may be a crap story-teller, but he knows how to build a suspense scene. So, maybe there is some hope.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw the trailer prior to Venom. Shyamalan is very hit or miss with his films. Personally I enjoyed Unbreakable as well as Split so I'll be watching this one as well.

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I re-watched both Unbreakable and Split in preparation for this (which I'll probably catch an IMAX screening of next week when the crowds die down). I had only seen both movies once, back when they were in theaters.

Wow, was Unbreakable ever boring! The last half-hour when it goes all Dead Zone was kind of fun, but the first hour + nearly puts you to sleep. I found it a chore to get through.

On the other hand, I thought Split held up beautifully. In fact, I probably liked it more this time than I did in theaters. It's really engaging, creepy, and weird, plus it moves at a breakneck pace. Also, from the blu-ray extras, I didn't realize this was shot by the same cinematographer as It Follows. Shymalan was such a fan, he sought him out. I'm surprised this got away with the PG-13 because it is dark! Loved it!

Looking forward to Glass. Is it weird that of all the characters they are bringing together here, the one I'm most excited about is Anya Taylor-Joy?

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also watched Unbreakable and Split prior to seeing Glass. Like Hook I hadn't seen either film since my theatrical viewing. When I first saw Unbreakable I enjoyed it and I also enjoyed it upon my recent viewing. Shyamalan is not an action oriented director but more of a story teller and I personally didn't find Unbreakable boring.

Split was in the theater not that long ago but I absolutely loved James McAvoy's performance. He seemed perfect for that role. I feel he did an equally good job in Glass.

My wife and I both enjoyed Glass and Shyamalan gave several twist endings which all worked well. Hopefully Glass performs well at the box office. I went opening day and there weren't all that many people in the theater.

Steel76 and CPT HOOK like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I caught an IMAX screening on Sunday and thought it was really good! However, if I hadn't just re-watched Unbreakable and Split, I might not have been as into it as I was. It's very talky and filled with throwbacks to the previous movies. They even incorporate deleted scenes from Unbreakable, which I had just watched on the blu-ray. I probably wouldn't have understood the brief Shyamalan cameo here either, which is a cute little joke that ties his previous cameos together. Definitely brush-up, because the movie demands what was set-up in the previous two movies.

Even though it is very talky, it's book-ended by two pretty spectacular action set-pieces. Not just spectacular because of the action, but because of your investment in these characters. Which is surprising, because I really wasn't that into Unbreakable at all. I loved Bruce Willis and his son here, it's a way better vigilante avenger tale than his Death Wish remake. I was especially riveted by James McAvoy, especially in his scenes with Anya Taylor-Joy. The finale here is not just exciting, it's emotional. The only weak link here was Samuel L Jackson's character, who I found a bit on the dull side.

So yeah, I enjoyed it very much. I'm not into the superhero genre at all, but this is definitely my kind of superhero movie. Big thumbs up from me.

Two brief things only for those who have seen the movie:
    How amazing would it have been if they had shown the CRUMB briefcase in Unbreakable and the twist had been right there in front of us this entire time?

Also, I LOVED how they set up this ridiculous cliched superhero movie finale atop this brand new skyscraper, and then just completely circumvent it with an intelligent finale that feels way bigger and more exciting than some CGI skyscraper showdown could ever be. I thought that was brilliant.

russweiss likes this.