Fulci's Underwater Zombie scene in Windows commercial.

Discussion in 'General' started by x666x, May 17, 2010.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Did anyone see this? It just aired during Family Guy. Never as a lad did I think I'd see something like this 20 years later.

2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Yep, I saw it and just posted a thread before realizing there already was one. Weird that there is a Windows 7 commercial I actually want to see again.

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, they kind of presented it like the zombie and the shark found eachother through a site called Zombie Companion. Like the typical Windows 7 ad, the commercial sucked, only this time, made fun of a classic film in the process.

5. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

yeah just saw it, pretty cool

6. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Now all of a sudden everyone and their mother is going to become a Fulci fan and it will "be cool" to watch Zombie and every other movie Fulci ever made. We all know the Average Joe has no idea that scene is actually from a movie, let alone a classic piece of horror cinema. I felt like someone took something personal from me, broke it and gave it to everyone. Is it just me or did any of you feel a little upset while watching this? Part of being a fan of this genre is that we know all of the random weird crap that no one else does. Amongst horror fans Fulci is a genius, amongst everyone else, he is a..."Who?" I don't know, Window's using Fulci's work in a commercial just felt so wrong to me. Does anyone else agree?

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think some of you are definitely overreacting to this. They took a very cheesy clip from a pretty bloody mediocre film (if anything, it makes the horror genre look BAD). But reactions here seem to be rather selfish. Just because we all know who Fulci is and because we're all horror fans doesn't give us the right to say "hey you have no right watching this movie because you're not a true horror fan". Fucking bullshit. Maybe now there's a whole new audience out there who will begin to discover the work of Fulci. Who knows? But, in order to become the fans that we all are, you need to start with something. You don't just all of a sudden know everything about the genre. Ontop of that, I'm willing to bet that most of the members on here know none of the theoretical issues surrounding the genre (Carol Clover's study of the slasher film and the rape/revenge plot, or cognitivism and psychoanalysis in the horror film or how the American horror films of the late 1960s and early 1970s acted as political and social allegory). Most people on here are nothing more than fanboys who know no more than excess amounts of trivia, which is fine. We all have areas of the genre that are of interest to us. We all became horror fans for one reason or another, so who cares if they used it in a commercial? Maybe people will begin to discover these films. Horror films are not made SPECIFICALLY FOR horror fans. There are always going to be people out there who will rediscover these films, so what's wrong with that?

Either way, I'm a horror fan and I, for one, would never consider Fulci a "genius". I just don't get the appeal of his films beyond their over-the-top gore scenes. The guy can't put together a narrative to save his life (and I realize that filmmakers such as Antonioni and Godard can be said to make films with little to no narrative as well, but at least their CHARACTERS have depth, there are politicial and social overtones). But with Fulci, since there are no political/social overtones and his characters are hollow and wooden...so what's the point? Gore for the sake of gore? Okay, that's fine, but that's still no grounds to consider the guy a genius. He did nothing but rip off filmmakers like Argento and Bava, only with less talent.

Argento, Bava and them being the godfathers of the giallo...there's genius at work there. They introduced a new sub-genre in horror. But sorry, I've never been able to understand all the credit people give to Fulci. His films are mediocre at best.

~Matt

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

^^^^ Fulci may not have been a "genius" director and his "Zombie" nothing more than a cheap reaction to "Dawn of the Dead" but you gotta give credit where credit is due with the zombie vs. shark scene. Had anything been done like that before or since? Sure, maybe his films were mediocre at best, however, that scene ranks as one of the most difficult to execute in a horror film I've ever seen and he nailed it.

That has to amount to somthing right?

9. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

to each his own of course

he has made some horrible films, especially his horror movies towards the end of his career/life, but something like The Psychic proves to me otherwise (to me anyway) which is a superb thriller

OT : i don't mind seeing classic movie material (horror or other) used in a commercial, i actually like it knowing what's it about :p

BTW mentioning Lucio Fulci and Jean-Luc Godard in the same comment is kinda weird ;)

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

In before Zombi remake.

11. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

There's nothing wrong with bringing something like this into the eyes of the masses. Really, if anything, if there's enough interest generated, it could prompt a studio to release a more definitive special edition and Blu out on the market.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I love Fulci and ZOMBIE, but realistically I think the Blue Underground/Shriek Show DVD that's out now is more "definitive" than the film probably deserves. :lol:

13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I agree and I disagree. I can see how you're reaction to Fulci's films leads to your understanding of him as a "mediocre" filmmaker, but have you seen all of his films? Sure, I thoroughly enjoy Zombi 2 and The Beyond and The City of the Living Dead, but yes, I agree with you his direction is mediocre on those films, but those films were made under that gorehound horror formula which isn't heavy on narrative or social overtones. Fulci can be a genius too though, just like any filmmaker, it depends on the film and the effort involved. My case in point, Perversion Story is a masterful film and has some masterful direction, so therefor Fulic is a "genius" under this film. So to label any filmmaker "mediocre" as a whole just because of certain films is a bit jumping the gun, when it really would vary from work to work under personal preference. Same goes with any and all directors. Romero has great works, and horrible works. Coppola, Herzog, Spielberg, etc. etc. etc.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A little too late for that. By the time a viable edition of Zombi 2 could be in stores the commercial would be off the air. If on the other hand Zombi 2 were making its re-release instead of City of the Living Dead on May 25th, it would have been a tremendous stroke of luck.

I'm not going to say I predicted this commercial, but I have been baffled at what's been taking Lustig so long in releasing Zombi 2. It's one of his most recent HD remastering, and it was beautiful. It'd be the easiest one to get going with least cost I would imagine, so what's the hold up? I'm sure he'll turn a few extra bucks, but not what he could have done with a fresh release on store shelves.

And there's no denying zombie vs. shark is the pinnacle of cinema. Mostly because there was a topless scuba diver caught inbetween. :D

15. Darryl Revok

Darryl Revok New Member

yeah, in this specific case probably. but a Blu would still be nice!

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So.....

Any link to the commercial?

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Fulci was not a genius, but really, few directors are geniuses literally or otherwise.

Fulci did, however, deliver the goods without restraint and with passion and for that I count him among my favorite directors of horror.

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

It will also spawn a remake, though. We'll get the Blu eventually, anyway. My opinion.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, give us some linkage! I am having a tough time fathoming Fulci and Windows in a symbiotic relationship.

As for the whole rekindled "Fulci is not a genius!" debate. I don't need Clover, Mulvey, Wood or anyone else to tell me that the man should be canon. His work spanned decades and every genre under the sun, and all had a pretty rich personal stamp. He was a lot more than gore or pop zooms, too, although those certainly shouldn't be looked upon as a lesser or negative quality of style. His films were incredibly personal, especially his latter works, and something even the most celebrated of filmmakers like Argento or Romero can't really compare to. If you look at all the themes and ideas he explored later in his career, from the self-reflexive CAT IN THE BRAIN to the Dante's Inferno journey through death in DOOR INTO SILENCE, Fulci was mining some pretty deep material for what's commonly regarded as simple gore movies. Compare those to the shit that Argento and Romero have been spitting out lately, and I don't see how you can keep knocking the guy down a notch. How much more meta does THE BEYOND have to be for it to be taken seriously?

Fulci's one of the most fascinating and interesting storytellers in the history of the medium, and just like any other celebrated artist, like the previously mentioned Godard or Scorsese, Soderbergh, Egoyan or Bogdanovich, has a career that spans many different styles and evolutions. To just watch Breathless and call Godard a hack, or to just watch Exotica and call Egoyan uninteresting is to dismiss a filmmaker for only a tiny, populist facet of a career that spans many ideas and films. Most of the Fulci detractors I know are people who watch Zombie or The Beyond or City of the Living Dead, feel indifferent and dismiss the guy as a gorehound. Sorry, there's a lot more there, in those films and especially the rest of his career, that you'd notice and likely appreciate if you'd give the rest of his films a shot.

I can't think of a filmmaker that had a broader range of film work under his belt (this guy did everything from musicals, historical dramas, thrillers, sex comedies, westerns and animal adventure to of course horror) and yet was able to still leave the stamp of an auteur on every project. And so often this guy was a hired gun, to boot. With the prolific output the guy had, yeah, they're bound to have rough edges, but they all have personality and panache.

He's a master...and Bill Gates is lucky to have him!

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid