Finally, an US blu of "Night of the Living Dead"

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Aug 5, 2017.

1. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Mill Creek has been on a bit of a bender exploiting the recent passing of George Romero and the PD status of Night of the Living Dead.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Any news of extras ?

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If they have a warts and all 35mm print and use a good encode on it... That's kinda tempting...

But I'll still hold out for the official release. And maybe if that has a fucked up transfer somehow I'll reconsider Millcreek's.

5. zbinks

I wouldn't expect any extras.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Fuck I really was hoping this was with Criterion. I mean it still very well might be, given its PD status. Hopefully it'll be in the next announcement. Mill Creek though? Hard pass.

It's absolutely fucked that neither this nor Dawn of the Dead have definitive HD releases.

~Matt

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Criterion may decide to change plans for their version of NOTLD if and when this Mill Creek edition comes along. No sense in having two competing releases on the market. If the Mill Creek BD comes out first - which it's looking very likely to - Criterion will probably scuttle plans or, worse, drop this completely.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I doubt that. Janus Films which is associated with Criterion is releasing the new 4K transfer theatrically. Criterion also created this page before George Romero passed away:

https://www.criterion.com/people/125597-george-a-romero

Criterion has released numerous blu-ray's despite other versions having already been available (Wes Anderson, Fear and Loathing, Dazed and Confused, etc).

Myron Breck likes this.
  9. zbinks

That has never stopped Criterion before.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I don't think Criterion considers Mill Creek as competition. Fact of the matter is there's a bunch of film snobs who will buy NotLD from Criterion simply because they're from Criterion. They might even despise NotLD but they'll buy it anyways. That's how ravenous their fan base is. NotLD is going to be a very good seller for them.

Yeah there will be a few people who will be satisfied with the Mill Creek release instead, but I'm not even sure you could put a hard number on that. Because all Mill Creek's going to do is snatch up buyers who will only buy something cheap and in front of them.

dave13 and zbinks like this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Mill Creek also released The Squid And The Whale, which Criterion released their version after.

X-human likes this.
  12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Considering the $14.99 price point, the Mill Creek release will inevitably be as half-assed as most of their others. They won't pay to license the 4k restoration, and it'll probably be limited to Dolby Digital sound. I agree with most everyone else. A Mill Creek release will have ZERO effect on Criterion's decision to release NoTLD or the potential market for their release.

I'll probably do what I did with Re-Animator--grab the Mill Creek release when it drops to around $10 and then give it away when Criterion comes through with a definitive release. This is a landmark film, and I suspect many other diehard fans will do the same. I don't mind paying $10 for a placeholder release if it's better than the other releases that we've gotten so far. I'm as excited about this restoration as I am about Synapse's Suspiria.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/11/4/13517892/night-of-the-living-dead-restored-moma-4k-george-romero

13. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Specs for the blu, new 2k print sounds interesting!

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD – Blu-ray + Digital
    George A. Romero’s cult classic returns for its 50th Anniversary.
    October 3, 2017

BUY IT NOW!

The indie horror masterpiece changed movies and the genre forever with its gleaming gore and terrifying twists. Restored now in HIGH-DEFINITION, prepare for the frightening tale of five strangers struggling for survival against the walking undead.

They’re coming to get you…again!

· A New 2K Transfer
    · Original 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio
    · Ranked #1 on Rolling Stone Magazine’s BEST ZOMBIE MOVIES OF ALL TIME!

14. shape22

Currently $8.39 at Amazon! Is anyone really going to pass this up at THAT price?

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just ordered it. The price isn't the reason however. I own close to a dozen blu-ray copies of the film from around the world, of which only two transfers are utilized (the U.K. Optimum and Japanese Happinet). Many have unique extras, a digibook and other amenities.

I just read the following this morning on bluray.com regarding the upcoming official 4K transfer.

"Here is the basis of Image Ten's copyright claim for their restoration. It does seem substantial.

DIGITALLY REMASTERED AUDIO AND VIDEO:
    • Edited Video Including Shot-by-shot Adjustments To Contrast Levels And Density
    • Digital Grain Stabilization
    • Scratch And Dirt Removal
    • Overall Film Stabilization
    • Added Introductory Title Frames
    • Digitally Recreated And Replaced Damaged Frames
    • Edited Audio To Change Sound Effects
    • Added Sound Effects To Audio
    • Remixed Audio From Multiple Master Sources
    • Edited Audio For Dropouts
    • Noise Reduction
    • Wow And Flutter Reduction"
    What's highlighted should scare the shit out of fans of the film. The Echo Bridge blu-ray touts a new 2K transfer which is something I'll want to see if for no other reason than to compare it to my other copies. I'll buy the Criterion blu-ray when it comes out, but I do not like these changes.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  16. shape22

Holy crap. This seems to be diametrically opposed to Criterion's preservationist philosophy.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Why would I send $9 to someone who had nothing to do with the original for a knowingly inferior copy? You might as well argue that I should snatch up every Chinese bootleg if it's cheap enough.

I'd rather put that $9 towards someone who deserves it.

I'd be hard pressed to think of an easier pass than this one.

19. shape22

Inferior to what exactly? The Criterion release doesn't exist at this point--and no one has seen any reviews of the upcoming Mill Creek disc. As far as buying something produced by those "who had nothing to do with the original," that would apply to EVERY release of this film so far. Romero screwed up the copyright notices. It's a tragedy, but that's the reality of the situation.

$9? It costs almost $9 to eat at McDonalds. It probably cost $9 to see the abominable Dark Universe Mummy reboot. Two Starbucks coffees cost $9.

Night of the Living Dead doesn't have a comparably priced blu-ray release ANYWHERE, and this is almost certainly bound to look leaps and bounds better than any of the DVDs we're all holding onto. I don't have any of the international blu-ray releases. It's your option to skip this, but there's no reason to be so smug about it. The snarky tone of your post suggests that there's something daft about those who decide to roll the dice for $9. Celebrate your thriftiness if you want, but I'll happily pay $9 for an upgraded version of NotLD--even if it's just to watch it once around Halloween. That's worth $9 to me.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

No, it's not "every" release so far. Image Ten, the original production company, has over the years licensed NotLD to Elite, Synapse (LD), Anchor Bay, 20th Century Fox, Miramax, and now Janus(Criterion). There is a very legitimate LEGAL chain of custody for these releases. With money going back to Romero, Russo, and other investors.

This Mill Creek release is not one of those. Romero made money off the MoMA theatrical re-release and the releases from Elite, Synapse, Anchor Bay, etc, etc. I'd rather send money that way than any other way.

Forgotten Films had an HD release on Blu-ray for 8 years available on Amazon.com. In fact it's still available for $7.99: https://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Dead-USA-Blu-Ray/dp/B003O656A6

Then why don't you buy the Forgotten Films release? If you have no qualms against a public domain release. It's even less money and available right now. You'd be daft not to. And it's know to have better picture than any DVD because it's been reviewed. Don't have to wait for Halloween either. Holding out for something better? How do you know the Millcreek release will be better? Nobody's seen it yet.

There's no reason to be so smug about it. The snarky tone of your post suggests that there's something daft about those who decide to hold off on $9 until they see what the competition has to offer.

Workshed likes this.