Film Aficionado Shutting Down

Discussion in 'General' started by Suicide, May 19, 2019.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Facebook Update:
    I'm glad they're keeping us up to date even if there's no new info.

Someone on Blu-ray.com noticed that if they use a Chrome Add-In to edit the cookies that expired 2/29/2020 or 3/1/2020 they can access: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17399797&postcount=186

So it seems like a relatively fixable situation on the back end but this is just some thing we can test from the front end.

I'm curious how involved Ed is in all of this and wonder if one of the reasons why he was closing the site was because he wouldn't be able to do support anymore...

Myron Breck likes this.
  2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

People are able to login again so it looks like they fixed the issue with the cookies!

You can move items to folders now but still not able to edit info using the "One Pager" mode. It's great that they were able to do that and promising that they may now have the expertise to correct the other issues.

People are also submitting new titles again so I can only imagine they're getting slammed. Honestly I'd forgotten all the things I wanted to add/update. It's been a bunch of lost months. Fortunately it's also been a slow few months in terms of purchases for me so I'm lucky in that regard.

Colin, MorallySound and Myron Breck like this.
  3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Some people were reporting ability to access "One Pager" mode using the latest Firefox (which I already had) so I tried it in a Private Window and "One Pager" is working there. So it's probably some more cookie issues.

So I went into Options > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Manage Data then entered in "Filmaf" deleted everything and then "DVDAf" and deleted everything with the site. Save Changes.

Refreshed FilmAf, logged in again, and now One Pager is working for me. I'm able to fully edit my entries now. Huzzah!

So great to finally be able to clear out my On Order folder!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

FYI: There's some feedback between users and a friend of the fixer on CriterionForums: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum...&sid=6a3a243ef1adfd56d91c706ed85442d9#p694606

I submitted 14 entries and they were all approved. Surprisingly my entry for Mystery of the Wax Museum was apparently the first as that was approved. Hours after I submitted the Blu-ray and DVD-r I realized I probably wasn't the first entry since I waited a few days so I shouldn't have bothered but looks like I was (or previous ones were so bad they were rejected?). Someone already tweaked my Cauldron entry for American Rickshaw from HORROR/EUROTRASH to SUSPENSE/THRILLER. I'm going to wait to watch it but I have a feeling I'll be changing it (and the film entry) back to EUROTRASH. ;)

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

rewind @ dvdcompare.net and new owner/operator of FilmAf Sam Scott has died:
    http://www.dvdcompare.net/

Wow. Very sad news. It's a bit shocking to see owners of sites so integral to our hobbies for some many years passing on. People we don't even know yet influence us so much.

Katatonia likes this.
  7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Wow, that sucks. I used to know him on DVD Profiler.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Posted today on Facebook:
    To do a backup go to the top left and click My Collection > Export Collection. Then choose the options best for you.

However right now it just seems to give you a TXT which isn't going to help with importing into a new site should it come to that.

MorallySound likes this.
  9. jstell

jstell Active Member

You can open your txt file in Excel and use the tab delimited option, then save as an Excel file. That should help with importing into a future database.

Colin and X-human like this.
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Today on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/filmafi/posts/3052049071511172

Very big blow. As I've said before I use it daily to not only manage my collection of over 8000 items but to evaluate what to buy next. And because of that this may be the death nail for my own collecting. It just becomes too unmanageable and more difficult to keep up with the little things. I've been curtailing my purchases these last few years because it's just too much recently but with this workhorse removed from my stable I just don't think I can do it anymore.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This is exactly why I'll never solely trust a web-based collection for myself. I use Blu-ray.com to catalog, but if that went kaput I also have my complete collection stored in the Profiler program. Even if their website died and goes away, I still have a hard copy of my collection and can continue editing/adding to it manually through the program.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, time's caught up with me. Supposedly today's the last day. I took a look at some site backup software this morning and found this one works fairly well on FilmAF: http://www.httrack.com/

It doesn't get the "One Pager" information but I'm able to get the big picture at least. The minute information is in the export if I need it.

Interestingly some of my submissions done last week before the announcement were approved Monday AFTER both announcements. So even at the last minute staff are working valiantly. It's not 100% fully clear what's happening but I hope it moves to a new server and comes back up as first indicated.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I'll probably just stick with my MyMovies Pro on my iPad, even though I have been diligent with my Filmaf account all these years. :(