Fantasy Island (2020)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Jan 30, 2020.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I have enjoyed some of there titles, probably disliked more. But the one thing I will always give them credit for is their cost management, A lot of the films they produce look more extravagant than the budget would suggest and they pretty much always make a tidy profit for very small outlays.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I just watched Ma. I'm about to put a review in the March & April Coronavirus Viewing Topic. But I think Ma is easily in the top 5 Blumhouse movies that I've seen. Checking wiki for their full list. I still haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity movies, which I want to see. Or the The Town That Dreaded Sundown remake. I have high hopes for that one as I didn't like the goofy elements of the original. But the original is still good. I haven't seen The Gift yet which should be good. My favorites would be:

1. Sinister
    2. Happy Death Day
    3. Halloween reboot
    4. Ma
    5. Happy Death Day 2

But I would only own Sinister and Happy Death Day 1 & 2.

Upgrade was interesting. The final Glass movie felt kind of like a waste with a plot point that should have been in the first or second movie. I don't think I bothered to review that movie here. Looking forward to seeing The Hunt, Invisible Man, and Fantasy Island. As well as the Halloween sequels.

Yeah but I think their profitability is for some of the same reasons as Bad Robot. A lot of marketing and people who see the name Blumhouse and go watch. Regardless if the movie is good or not. Of course it does help that Blumhouse makes incredibly cheap horror movies.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

How do you know if a movie is good or not if you don't go watch it? You can get a feeling about a film from the trailer but it's certainly not the same. I watched Upgrade twice. Once in the theater and more recently on blu-ray and still find it to be an entertaining film. I would also add The Invisible Man, The Hunt, The Belko Experiment, and Split to the list of good Blumhouse releases.

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

First off, I can't comprehend a horror fan not at the very least appreciate what Blumhouse has put out over the last several years, specifically what Jason Blum has been involved in:

The new Halloween trilogy?!?
    The Invisible Man
    Get Out
    Creep 1 and 2
    Paranormal Activity
    Sinister
    The Lord's of Salem
    The Bay
    The Green Inferno
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown (fantastic slasher by the way, lot of fun)
    Ouija Origins of Evil
    The Gift
    Happy Death Day

I can go on and on. But come on.....it's a business. Even if they put out your favorite movies of recent memory, you're not gonna dig every friggin thing they attach their name to. That would be like a clothing company only selling outfits for 13 year old boys between 4'2 and 4'5. They're in it to make money and from the numbers that come out after a bunch of their theatrical runs, apparently they are really fucking good at what they do.

I really fucking hope theaters are gonna be open this October to see the new Halloween flick.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I watched about an hour on Fantasy Island before turning it off. At that point I thought it was wrapping up anyway but there was like 40 mins left. It was interesting to be fair but I just felt the thing was stretched too long. Would have made a better anthology movie.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Took me this long to get around to it, but I watched Fantasy Island film last night. (It was on Starz)

It's not awful, I thought it was pretty decent. One thing for sure, it's made well and looked great. On the possible reasons people that saw it and didn't like it. I wonder if any had seen the series before. This was pretty much like any old episode of FI. I will admit on the initial set up, island arrival, guests getting settled in I had high hopes they were gonna go full out horror. A complete twist on the series. Well that's really not what this movie is all about. It followed the series pretty closely. Hard to explain, but one needs to watch the series to understand. Multiple stories, sometimes guests put in peril. Having to make crucial choices, that determine real life. Just like the series, not all guests and their stories were perfect or appealing. Here, like others have said. The brothers and Lucy Hale were the good ones, the other two, meh.

My review on Michael Peña as Rourke. He didn't do a bad job, I just thought Rourke was miscast imho. I didn't like how he was too mysterious, plus there was zero joy in him. He barely even smiled once. They should have went with a more "senior" actor.

Other stuff:

Michael Rooker. He was wasted imo, why was he even there? Collect a paycheck? That was a rare time I felt bad for him, he's always great. Hell, he should have been Rourke. or one of the guests/stories.
    Another favorite film veteran of mine showed up as a total surprise to me.
    Kim Coates
    Now , that's what I expected Rooker to do. Something to do, something interesting.

What I really loved. Was the "creepy" right hand staff to Rourke. Like I said, when they appeared on screen in the beginning, I was like ok, this is gonna be good. They had a great look, etc... But the film didn't progress that way unfortunately.

No spoiler. But the ending. If this film made money like they hoped. This was a shoe in for sequels.

Bottom line. What the hell, I'm recommending the film. Just go in thinking it's another episode of Fantasy Island and you should be fine. It's not that bad.

chancetx likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

I ended up watching the last bit of the movie in the weeks after my last comment here. I know nothing about the show so maybe that's why I didn't like it, but the ending felt kind of stupid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The ending ... ending?
    the Asian guy and that whole deal
    Or how the main plot wrapped things up. Say the last 15 minutes.

I guess use spoiler tags in case people don't want to know what was going on and have yet to see the film.

9. Zombie Dude

I think my picture speaks for itself if you've seen the movie haha :p

It all revolves around a big, magical rock :rolleyes:

10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. Well, I can't explain that. Ha. But go watch any old Fantasy Island episodes. There's tons of weird and bizarre storylines/scenes. Like I was trying to explain, the series was unique to say the least. Nothing like that was on TV around then. They had everything from mermaids to Satan and everything in between.

Zombie Dude likes this.