Doctor Sleep - November 8th, 2019

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jun 13, 2019.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Doctor Sleep - directed by Mike Flanagan

In theaters November 8th, 2019

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Looks WILD! I really enjoyed the book, too.

BTW, those scenes are not from the original film; they were recreated. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Cool then the next month will be Blum house Black Christmas redo.

4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

The book was pretty good. I thought it had too many villains, though. This trailer did nothing for me, but I will see the movie. I never miss a Stephen King adaptation.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Being a sequel to The Shining, I'm interested in seeing this. Seems interesting enough, though the filter they seem to be using is very reminiscent of those early 2000's films, where they all basically looked washed out and bland.

6. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I can't imagine King is pleased they're using the imagery and music from Kubrick's The Shining. Although for me those were the most interesting moments in the trailer.

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

https://news.avclub.com/stephen-king-had-to-be-talked-into-letting-doctor-sleep-1835503035

Sounds like King gave the okay, although I dislike the framing of this narrative. As if the writer of the original novel would have to incorporate elements of a film adaptation into the sequel he also wrote. What kind of terrible perspective is this on behalf of the writer at the AV Club?

Myron Breck and chancetx like this.
  8. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link, Workshed. Glad he signed off on it but I still would love to have been a fly on King's wall the first time he saw the trailer.

And I agree with you 100% about the article's perspective. Why on earth would King have incorporated any of Kubrick's changes in the sequel to his own novel?

9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

I dug it, it’s a direct continuation from kubricks film but a different kind of film , much more a standard narrative driven by plot. Very engaging.

russweiss and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Not doing so great at the box office.

Predictions were at $25+ million, but is now looking like it will end up around $14 million for the weekend.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed this one as well. Will probably see it again before it leaves theaters. There weren't too many people at my screening considering it's opening weekend.

12. Zombie Dude

That's sad to hear. Especially when I've been hearing a lot of good things about this one. I'm waiting for a friend to be free so we can go check it out together, otherwise I probably would have seen it by now. Plus I've really enjoyed Mike Flanagan's work in the past.

13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Should have been released a month ago.

14. Zombie Dude

Well that I can't disagree with. Why they chose to release it the month after Halloween is beyond me and a pretty stupid choice.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Enjoyed seeing this in theater today. Surpassed my expectations. Will definitely buy the Blu-ray release when available.

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

• You'd be surprised how many of the biggest horror box office successes weren't October releases.
    • Warner Brothers had It Chapter Two released in September and Joker (still running strong at #6 with $9.2 million, this week) in October. Throwing Doctor Sleep into the October mix probably wouldn't have done it any favors and might have hurt the box office totals for the other two.

17. Zombie Dude

Well they're all WB films so theoretically they could have shuffled things around.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I wouldn't have shuffled It Chapter Two ($462 million) or Joker ($984 million and counting) for a film with a $25 million opening weekend projection. Maybe it meets or beats that projection with an October opening, but the other two were safer bets and they paid off, in spades.

19. Zombie Dude

Why not? I'm sure there's plenty of other spots in the year to swap something like Joker for a better suited October movie like Doctor Sleep. Ah well, I'm looking forward to getting to see it regardless.

20. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I quite liked this. I really dig Flanagan and more than anything else, this does feel like a Flanagan film. Despite my fondness for the director, I did go in with hesitation. I am definitely not the biggest fan of King and tend to find a lot of his stuff to be silly, heavily padded, and meandering. I haven't read the book, and probably won't, but I am curious as to how different this is from the original text.

Like most of Flanagan's work, the mood is heavy. But, overall, it had a pretty good story. The bulk of it centers of Danny getting over his childhood trauma and I found that to be some of the most interesting stuff. I usually find McGregor to be a pretty engaging actor and he's well used here. The psychic vampires were a lot more effective than I would have imagined them to be, with Fergusson and Zahn McClarnon's Crow Daddy, being particularly strong. The young Abra character was acceptable, but not particularly a standout. A few of the lines get a bit cringey, but overall, the dialogue was pretty good.

The big issue, obviously, is going to be how does this compare to Kubrick's. And, well, it fails there. But, seriously, who would expect any sequel to a Kubrick film to match his mastery? And, really the weakest parts of the film where the callbacks. I'll admit that they definitely work on a thematic level. And I did like them from that perspective. But, there are several shots that are attempts to replicate Kubrick's shots from The Shining and all they succeed in doing is highlighting how unreplicable Kubrick's imagery is. Hell, even when you see a crossfade you realize just how good and unique Kubrick was and how, as talented as Flanagan is, he is just not a Kubrick. Fortunately, I don't think they overshadow the film. There's enough of Flanagan's own distinctive style to keep this from just being a collection of nostalgia berries. And Flanagan's touch is dripping all over this.

Considering Flanagan's past work and the themes that are brought up, I will say that I did expect this to be a more emotional story. It's no "Bent-Neck Lady". But, that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just considering my own theories about King and his psychology, I did expect to feel a bit more.

But, this is obviously a damned film. I mean, who do you please? You have the King fans who hate the Kubrick film. You have the Kubrick fans who don't care about King's book. And, I have to say this does a good job of trying to bridge the gully. On an odd note, this film really does make assumptions that you are familiar with both versions. So, I suspect that if anyone is going in blind, they will likely be confused as hell as to what's going on with Danny.

For Flanagan fans, I don't think it's better than Oculus or those middle sections of Hill House. The ending doesn't quite succeed, but it's better than the one in Gerald's Game

It's a better Kubrick sequel than 2010. And as a sequel to Mick Garris's The Shining, it knocks it out of the park. It's just too bad that pesky Kubrick film exists.