Day of the dead summer 85 - all you zombies??

Discussion in 'General' started by ronnie21, Aug 14, 2016.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Day of the dead came in July summer 85, and I couldn't help but thinking that The 80's band "The Hooters" had their hit "all you zombie's" at the same time, wonder what a coincidence. anyone else notice this back then!!?

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I can't say that I noticed this but I have my own Day of the Dead story/thought. When the film played in my area I went to see a midnight showing. While watching the movie with a friend someone started throwing popcorn from behind us. It turned out that my sister had also gone to the same showing by coincidence and when she saw me there thought it would be funny to throw popcorn at us. My sister is no longer with us but that memory lives on. I enjoyed Day of the Dead so much that I had some dialog from the film as my answering machine message.

Day of the Dead lobby Sticker.jpg

The picture above is a sticker that for a while during the 80's you could get from gumball machines. Does anyone else remember these? I have several stickers from various films from these machines.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

What a nice story about your sister. Thanks for sharing. That will always be a great memory for you. As for the stickers, I don't remember them. However, I have my own Day of the Dead story. They filmed the underground bunker scenes about 25 miles from my house in Wampum, PA. I could have had the chance and been a zombie. They were calling for extras in our local newspaper. They would pay you $1.00 a day and provide a boxed lunch for you. I was working full-time while going to college and couldn't find the time to get off. Looking back, I can kick myself for not going. I could have been a zombie. What a dumbass I was looking back...LOL.

The place they filmed it is an underground mine built into a hillside. It extends many levels underground. It was a army installation until the early 1970's. It is now owned privately but they have mushroom farming inside, vintage cars, all sorts of different things are stored there along with government offices. They even run long distance running inside for regional and state track programs.

4. russweiss

That would have been awesome to be an extra in Day of the Dead. I have a kick myself memory too. I attended a Fangoria Weekend of Horrors convention in the 80's. Elvira was one of the guest stars/speakers. She was very popular and had a long line. They said she would give autographs but not be taking pictures. My roommate at the time and myself were nearly the last ones in line and when we got to the table he was bold enough to sit on the table to get a picture with her. I was too embarrassed as they had stated she didn't want to take photos. Bottom line he ended up with a great shot with her and I didn't.

Harry Warden likes this.
  5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm sorry for your loss russweiss. I do remember those stickers, though it's been some time since I've seen one. I wasn't old enough to catch Day in the theaters. Come to think of it, I have never watched any Romero film theatrically. Holy cow!

6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

My story for day of the dead is a little gross, so we saw it on a Sunday evening, cinema was packed, great atmosphere, lots of screaming, then the guy who was sitting about 2 chairs down gave out a loud gulp and proceed to leave, me and my mate could not believe somebody was walking out this masterpiece when it all became clear, we could see he had shit himself, and was leaving quickly due to embarrassment, I've always liked to believe it was the film that caused this and not a dodgy curry!!!!

7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Hey harry warden, what year was this filming?? iam quessing sometime in 84??

8. Harry Warden

It had to be because the film was delayed a few times. It was during the summer of 84. I thought the film would never come out because Romero had such problems with the MPAA.

9. Harry Warden

You young whippersnapper you..LOL. I saw Dawn of the Dead twice and Day of the Dead twice in theaters. I almost caught Night at a local drive in playing on a triple bill. It was the last film and dammit, my mother made my father leave for Night. She thought I was too young for the subject matter (which I was), but my dad would have stayed. It was only years later around 1982 or 83 that I finally saw Night on VHS.

buck135 likes this.
  10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    All cool stories. "Day" came to my local cinemas in the Fall of '85. For some reason, that movie was the most tense nightmare I've ever seen at that point. I couldn't imagine sleeping in the same underground complex as zombies. I was on edge the entire movie. I was with the lead characters all the way - I especially took to the lead actress Lori Cardille. The movie ends on a terrific pensive tone...which makes the ending disturbing to me. I always wondered...are they even alive? That last shock at the helicopter (I doubt they could shoot themselves out of that situation) and then enjoying the island likes it's some lost paradise...I dunno. Anyway, I left the theater so hopped up and scared to cross the crowded downtown streets. Ha, it was just a crazy feeling. I just wanted to get home and forget about that nightmare of a movie. I was a fan for life.

Harry Warden, buck135 and russweiss like this.
  11. Harry Warden

Hindsight is 20/20.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm envious my friend. I was hoping that Rubenstein would get his head out of his ass and make a deal with a distributor to get Dawn 3D in theaters. Doesn't look like that's happening any time soon.

Harry Warden likes this.
  13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

My first time was just renting this at the age of 12 or so. I have to say that these stories coming from you all are remarkable. Even though they are not my own, your stories will hit me during my next viewing without a doubt. Because of my age, R rated horror had to be rentals during the 80's for me. Even so, I have fond memories of renting movies like Day OTD, I totally remembered the video store I rented it from and everything. Wish I can go back. It's just not the same today.

Harry Warden likes this.
  14. Harry Warden

Yeah, I always hated when I couldn't get into movies because of my age. It's right of passage that everybody must go through. Seeing both Day and Dawn in a packed, and I do mean packed theater, is a memory I will never forget. The crowds were respectful, yet rowdy as the same time. People would through popcorn, scream, howl, laugh and be grossed out at the same time. Yet through all of this, you could still hear the film, but the minute something gory or suspenseful hit the screen, you could feel the energy of the crowd build. These showings in my area along the Ohio/PA border were always midnight showings, even on school nights. They would repeat at 2AM and if you paid for the Midnight showing, you could stay again for the 2AM showing. Every showing was jam packed full of people. It was the closest thing to experiencing the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Since Romero is from Pittsburgh, you never had a shortage of his films playing in Western PA or Northeastern Ohio. I like sharing these stories with everyone. It was really fun growing up in the 1970's.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Ptflea2, buck135 and Natas like this.
  15. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Very jealous. I can only imagine how cool seeing Day of the Dead was on the big screen in 85. Unfortunately I was only 1 when it came out...... I did see LAND of the dead in the theaters which was cool........ but obviously no where near as badass as Day. I would say Day of the Dead is the greatest zombie movie ever made.

Harry Warden likes this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

This would never fly today (and I can't believe my dad allowed it), but back when I was a kid I figured out how to get into R-rated movies. See, it says you must be accompanied by someone over 17, but it never says you have to know that person. So I just hung out outside the theater and found someone going into the movie I wanted to see, gave them my ticket money, and walked in with them like I was part of their group. Then find my own seat and enjoy the movie.

Harry Warden likes this.
  17. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Fuck yeah. It all depends on the theater......but me and my buddies used to buy tickets for whatever PG13 nonsense was playing at the time, and walk into whatever movie we really wanted to see. I recall getting dropped off at the theater with a buddy, buying a ticket for Dr. Dolittle and casually strolling into Halloween H20. And it was fucking awesome!

We had a small 6 screen theater up the street and they didn't give a shit about the age. I was 12 and saw Scream with a couple of friends who were the same age. Same goes for I know what you did last summer....... good times.

18. russweiss

I also bought tickets for G or PG films and went in to see the R or unrated film instead. That is how I saw Maniac, The Thing, The Howling, and American Werewolf in London. I remember having to buy a ticket for The Aristocats when I wanted to see Maniac because it was the only non R rated film at the 4-plex I used to go to. Seeing The Howling in the theater with the full frontal nudity was a big deal for me too as that was the first film I can recall showing so much.

Harry Warden likes this.
  19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It was tougher for me to do that, because we didn't have multiplexes. Most theaters were just "twins", two screens.

I used my method for a few movies, till I saw some kids from school saying "Oh, just go in, they don't care". Turns out they were right, and I just did that for a while. The only time I got hassled was when they did a revival of Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, and the box office girl was very reluctant to sell me a ticket. After seeing the movie. I could see why!

Ptflea2 likes this.
  20. Harry Warden

Love it. We did this all the time too. Then, some of the ticket sellers would try to quiz us on what year we were born. I would always have an answer and be ready for what they might ask. Once I reached 13, I didn't need to worry after that because my brother is 4 years older and I always went with him.