Culture Shock Releasing (New Label - union of Lo-Fi Video & Verboden Video)

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

https://www.cultureshockreleasing.com/
    I do already own the Slashdance DVD and Split Blu-ray, which were both well done for such obscure 80's films.

The first DVD release from this new union of both labels is Zipperface (1992):

https://www.cultureshockreleasing.com/product-page/zipperface-special-edition-dvd

https://www.cultureshockreleasing.com/product-page/zip-it-up-bundle

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Their next DVD release will be Goodnight, God Bless a.k.a. Lucifer (1987):

https://www.facebook.com/cultureshockreleasing/posts/162748142298836

[​IMG]

They've also stated this:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

After shipping, these come to $20+, which is pretty steep for DVDs sourced from tape masters.

One of the co-owners was commenting on the Vinegar Syndrome group and seemed to imply they would be releasing Moonstalker.

3. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I love it. Bring on the open frame, bring on the tape transfers. As soon as my cash rises, I wanna look into Goodnight god bless. I think I already have moonstalker and zipperface on dvd from years ago.

4. CPT HOOK

In keeping with last night's post, after months of back and forth negotiating, we finally signed 2 films from 1988 -- both of which are destined for Blu-ray! One has never been on disc EVER, and one had a foreign bare bones disc in the early DVD era. We’re going to change that!
    These pics were just sent by one of the producers as they are packing the material up to be in our hands shortly. Here are the 16mm and 35mm elements!

[​IMG]

Worth mentioning, if you look at the comments, the label is liking only the replies that mention Iced...

5. foller

foller Active Member

Was Goodnight God Bless really shot on video?

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Shot of film, edited/finished on video.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

You could also say that the label is only not liking replies that mention Hard Rock Nightmare (which I initially mistook for Rock & Roll Nightmare). :p

In all seriousness, hopefully Iced is happening, but I'm skeptical to draw any conclusions based on such a small sample size of comments liked / not liked.

8. CPT HOOK

Hard Rock Nightmare is a bitchin' werewolf slasher movie, so they'd better not be dissing it!

I think it's better than Evil Laugh from the same director, but Evil Laugh is the more popular of the two simply because of availability.

The American Scream is a super fun horror comedy as well. I'd love to add both to the blu-ray collection.

9. zbinks

Apparently, Code Red has Hard Rock Nightmare. Hopefully, that will be released as well.

10. foller

foller Active Member

I hope they don't have Iced because I think that this would mean a DVD release like Zipperface and Goodnight, God Bless.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The two new titles hinted at are both going to Blu-ray coming from film scans, however since Iced was finished on tape it's likely not one of the two new titles unless it was actually edited on film before being transferred to tape for the original masters... But I'm pretty sure VS clarified since they already released one of the director of Iced's other movies (Beyond the Door III) that Iced was completed on video. So unless one of these two is by some rare chance an actual edited film copy of Iced, it's most likely not one of the two hinted at Culture Shock titles...

12. Katatonia

13. CPT HOOK

I sold my VHS in anticipation for the GNGB DVD, which isn't a very good movie but certainly has some effective bits.

However, I've never seen Zipperface or Slashdance. Are these worth picking up? All the reviews I can find are scathing. I wouldn't hesitate if they were in the $10 range like the InterVision stuff, but with shipping these are about $20 each.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

Titles like these mark the end of the grindhouse era to me. The italian film market moved into television, seeming to dry up those releases, VHS and AIDS ended the fleabag theaters in many urban areas, and the VCR created a new market of full frame fare that was a pinch "tamer" than the leftover nonstudio theater fare that was filling the VHS market when the majors thought it wasnt a viable medium. Around 1987, smaller vhs releases began to be product created specifically for home rental marketsrather than previous theatrical releases that had never screened in rural areas. And into that market came titles like these, full framed and unashamed. I already have a lot of the titles, but count me in for Goodnight, God Bless and I am in for future titles. To me these films were the bridgegap from the mom n pops to chain rental stores, alongside dadction films and cynthia rothrock chopsocky epics.
    Dadction films are movies with dudes in sportcoats and stonewash jeans and cowboy boots being mulleted renegades saving women in coral colored dresses that squeak from guys with nonplaceable foreign accents who always kills their Verynicebestfriend in exploding malls in what always looks like Southern California suburbs before having satin sheet saxophone nookie in their apartments that are entire floors of warehouses. Ya hadda be there...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I really miss this movie trope.

16. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

You forgot the artistically placed shadow of a slowly spinning industrial fan...

scott71670 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. CPT HOOK

Goodnight God Bless is now available for pre-order.

18. Katatonia

I received Zipperface from them today in the mail. For some reason they sent me 2 copies of it though, even though I only ordered one... :eek: The disc was a floater in one and the Slipcover was damaged a little, so at least one copy arrived fine I guess.

To be honest, I can't remember too much about Zipperface. I do know that I rented the VHS release perhaps 20+ years ago, but my memory is entirely blank other than I did enjoy it and the mental image of the zippered black mask on the killer.

I personally like Slashdance, even though it is certainly laughably bad at times. I bought it on VHS at a Walmart for like $1 in a discount bin around 28+ years ago, but it was a crappy EP-mode tape that had tracking problems...so it was hard to even watch and enjoy it then. Walmart surprisingly had a bunch of other City Lights Home Video releases like Epitaph, Death by Dialogue, The Newlydeads back then.

I later bought the "Night Chills" 10-Movie DVD set from Brentwood/BCI about 15 years ago, and Slashdance was included in that set. The transfer on that was much better, and I was finally able to fully enjoy watching the film for once.

Slashdance has a certain charm about it, almost like "A Chorus Line" melded into a Slasher which takes place almost entirely within a vintage Hollywood theater/stage. Jay Richardson (from the Vice Academy films) and Queen Kong (the female wrestler) both appear in the film adding a "B" level of professionalism to it, but most of the other actors were complete unknowns. A couple of the characters in the film are just bonkers and the dialogue is insanely bad, but it sort of adds to the SOV charm of it all. If you like SOV films from the 80's, there are certainly far worse examples out there.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    CPT HOOK likes this.
  19. CPT HOOK

^ Slashdance is sold out, but I did add Zipperface to my order when I got Goodnight God Bless. At those prices for DVDs, I'll be pissed if they send me floaters.

Katatonia likes this.
  20. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/cultureshockreleasing/posts/202824824957834