Criterion's "Godzilla The Showa Era" blu-ray set

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by rxfiend, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I’ll wait until we get an international release with the new 4K transfers, even if I have to wait many years for them to show up.

Even the old DVD’s have better black levels and colors than the blu-ray transfers. Which is why I kept those instead.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I also checked on some of the DVD titles I own and those had English as well as Japanese which is not the case for all of the Criterion titles. Ghidrah, Godzilla's Revenge, and Godzilla Vs the Thing specifically. The Toho Masters Collection are the ones I'm referring to.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

"The Criterion shares the dual-layered Blu-ray with 2 other films (Son of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters). It's bitrate is lower..."

Well, it might take a while before it happens, but I'm going to wait for a future release, featuring the new 4K scans. Can't believe they cheap out like that and cram 3 movies on one disc, forcing them to use lower bitrates.

These old HDTV transfers are too soft and lacking in detail.
    Sure the Section 23 disc is cropped, but the sharpness and details are much better.

Criterion:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/104/ebirah...e_05_ebirah_horror_deep_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

Section 23:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-...large_godzilla_vs_sea_monster_05_blu-ray_.jpg

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Packaging is huge (Don May from Synapse posted a funny video on Instagram of trying to fit it on his movie shelf), but I'm excited to pick this up. Word on the street is the next 50% off Barnes & Noble Criterion sale starts on Friday (11/1) so I'll grab a copy this weekend. I bought a lot of Godzilla and Kaiju films over the last few months, excited to have a marathon of mainly first time views starting next year.

6. fattyjoe37

I picked up the Criterion Showa Era set yesterday for 50% off at Barnes & Noble and it was bigger than I thought it would be. It's a hardcover coffee table book that is a little taller than my current tallest book (Crystal Lake Memories). The only shelf I have that's tall enough for it holds my Laserdiscs and this even dwarfs them. I'm not a fan of sliding discs in and out of cardboard slots, so I put the discs themselves inside an 8 disc case featuring some custom art. I'm normally not a fan of custom art, but I now have 2 on my shelf because of box sets that do not feature plastic disc holders in any region (the other is WBs Friday the 13th collection), but at least now when I look at my disc shelves I'll see all the Godzilla movies in one spot.

Here is an in-depth video going over a review of the set including the history of the Showa films on home video and why some are disappointed with aspects of this release. It's lengthy, but very informative:

This same reviewer will be digging into 100 Kaiju films in the leadup to Godzilla vs. Kong next year. I will be doing something similar. Below is a picture I took of all the releases I picked up over the last few months. Starting in January I'm going to work through every Godzilla film and every series featuring a monster that also shows up in a G film (hence the Gamera because of Barugon).

[​IMG]

Only ones I'm missing are:
    Gorath
    War of the Gargantuas
    Sequels to The Mysterians (Battle in Outer Space, War in Space)
    Films in the "Kiryu" continuity that never crossed over with Godzilla in film (Matango, Dogora, Space Amoeba)

Those ones all seemed to have pricey now out of print releases, so I'm gonna rent them from Scarecrow Video. Going to be an interesting dive into unseen cinema for me, up to this point I've only seen 3 Toho G films and the American remakes. Glad this Criterion release inspired me to finally dig into these films that so many of my friends love.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I might be misunderstanding you, but Daiei's Barugon has nothing to with Toho's Baragon.

8. fattyjoe37

Haha, I'm hearing this in another forum too. A few months back I watched a playlist of Cinemassacre's Godzilla reviews on YouTube and they mentioned the rainbow shooting Barugon showing up in a Godzilla movie and how it was confusing because Godzilla had its own villain named Baragon. I don't remember which film review it was so I can't easily bring it back up without watching them all. So when I was assembling my collection I got all the Gameras thinking they tied in. If they don't, that's fine. From what I've read I think I'll enjoy them too. Of course I could've waited to buy them if I had the correct information, nearly the entire Gamera series is out of print and cost a little bit to obtain.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

$112.49 right now on Amazon. That's 50% off by my math but I'm still undecided and if Criterion does their 50% off sale I believe that's tax free so that's still the better deal.