Brightburn - James Gunn produced

Discussion in 'General' started by Cooperkill, May 15, 2019.

1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

[​IMG]

This doesn't open until next week, but I managed to see it early. In all, this could have been epic, but it's rushed and never forms a point. There is some gore to hold attention, but the characters are dopey enough that they deserve to die. In all, it's okay. Quick review: http://splattercritic.com/2019/05/brightburn/

2. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The trailer just screamed Superman to me. It's rated R and stars Elizabeth Banks so I'll still go see it but I don't have my hopes up. It's kind of funny you say "they deserve to die" as I feel that way about a lot of characters I see on TV and film these days.

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

The whole movie reeks of comic book fans sitting around wondering what would happen if Superman was evil. Which is why it could have/should have been awesome, but it's too underdeveloped. You basically see the whole movie in the trailer.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Apparently this was already released in Singapore / Malaysia and has already leaked online, which is how so many people are seeing it already. I'll wait the extra week and see it on the big screen. I already saw an advanced screening of Booksmart a couple weeks ago, so this is really the only theatrcial offering for the holiday weekend.

I think it looks fun. The second trailer is a much better sell than the first. Plus, it's R-rated and only 90 minutes, which are two major selling points for me. Gotta support that. I might dig out my Slither blu-ray for a rewatch the night before I go. Looking forward to it.

Natas likes this.
  5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I was looking forward to this, but in the UK, it's been cut to gain a lower rating, no way I will support a title that's been cut, so I'll wait for an official US home video release.

f.ramses and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

From the trailer it looks exactly like Man of Steel. Even the text font they use during it is the same! Not to mention the style. I'm surprised they could do that without getting in trouble.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It's called parody, which is what I always assumed this movie/trailer was doing in the first place. Not in the slapstick comedy-sense, but in the flipping something on it's head - in this case the supervillain rather than superhero.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

But they've had Superman be evil in comics numerous times, so this seem less like a parody to me.