Brandon Cronenberg’s ‘Possessor’

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught the trailer a couple weeks back but totally forgot to post about it here. I'm extremely stoked for Possessor! Big fan of Antiviral, so can't wait to see Brandon Cronenberg's follow-up and it looks like it won't disappoint!

3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I have a few of his movies on my list to see. I read about this one a while ago and the premise seemed good so I will pass on watching the trailer.

4. sinister

sinister Active Member

So there's a "screener" copy of this floating around.

There's so many deep layers of ideas going on that it seems like it would have worked better as a mini series than a single movie. It feels very much like a 90's David Cronenberg movie brought up to date and that's not a bad thing. I'm more a fan of his early, less ambitious work but if you're into his later stuff then you'll probably love this. I wanted more of some aspects of it and less of others, so it seemed a bit uneven... feels like there should be a director's cut with either 15 mins less or 20 mins more footage.

Definitely very nicely shot though and very gory in just enough of the right places. I wish Argento had had a movie making son with this much talent. :)

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Finally got to watching the trailer! I'd seen the poster pop up a few times on the web and it looked creepy. Funny you mention Argento as I thought of him while watching the trailer.

I'll try and get a hold of a copy to watch soon as my interest has definitely increased now.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I noticed it was uploaded back in April.
    Had no idea it was leaked.

Gonna give it a watch tonight.

Glad Brandon have taken over the torch, after David got all pretentious, and stopped making horror.

7. sinister

sinister Active Member

I noticed it at the time but after reading a few reviews decided to skip it, having not spotted the director. It wasn't until last week when someone was telling me their top 2 movies of the year were this and Blood Machines that I went looking again after being so impressed with Blood Machines.

The "screener" version has text over the image so it might be worth waiting a few weeks to see if a better version appears. Also in some of the reviews it mentioned explicit full frontal male nudity which I don't remember seeing at all, so maybe the screener version isn't complete (it definitely didn't seem cut for violence at least) or maybe I just blacked out that memory. :) Or maybe some of those fast edits of close up knife thrusts got some people confused, haha.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm visiting my Mom this week and there's an Alamo Drafthouse about 5 miles away playing this tomorrow, so I'll probably head out and check this out.

Natas likes this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'm interested in seeing this as well but the nearest theater that's playing it is nearly 100 miles away and I don't make long road trips to see movies anymore. Hopefully it will come to a closer theater in the near future.