Blair Witch (2016)

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Actually, he said the creature at the end WASN'T the Blair Witch, and that was it. He didn't say it was a victim. But he mentioned there would be some info in the DVD commentary.

I'd imagine Simon Barrett has his own back story and explanations for the ending etc.

But at the moment it seems like Barrett is trying to make the movie more interesting by being really illusive in his explanations. I mean, they added the line about Kedward being "stretched" whilst tied to the tree, then what appeared to be the Blair Witch is glimpsed looking like a gangly stretched figure. The best thing about the original movie was the back story, if Barrett is planning on doing a Saw franchise thing and re-writing all that we thought we knew, maybe it's fortuitous that the movie didn't do well and it looks like the franchise has stalled once again.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    othervoice1 likes this.
  2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I dig the theories about the film. Blair Witch got me fascinated with the myth all over again so the film was certainly effective there.

I don't think its aliens though. And I didn't mind assuming we had actuslly seen the witch or a projection of our fears of her.

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The Alien theory is interesting. Probably more interesting than what the movie offered. But it would explain the lights at the end, right? I still can't believe they ended the movie with the same fucking camera drop shot they did in the original. Fucking ridiculous.

4. Buechlers_beard

I've read that the flashes of light could've been sunlight sped up. As in those flashes were the days passing VERY quickly

5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

true true......I guess that makes sense. Either way I highly doubt I'll watch it again to try and figure more out

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I read that too, but
    it's a strange angle for sunlight to be coming in, especially in the middle of the woods. Also, it would explain the tents shooting up into the sky.

Reminds me of the little seen 80s movie High Desert Kill, where a bunch of weird stuff happens to a group of hunters in the desert, and it turns out they're all part of an alien experiment.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    The filmmakers are really trying to get into everyone's heads with all the ambiguity. The image explained is just too much - sounds like a total afterthought. The dialogue on the imdb boards is really entertaining. I guess the trick worked to a degree.

8. Buechlers_beard

I just think they needed to do something scary and different. The mythology was already there - why murky the waters further!?
    Aliens, time travel!?!

The legend of the Blair Witch was the BEST part of the original films. Had the prequel based on Elly Kedward/Rustin Parr happened maybe we wouldn't of been subjected to this mediocre and unnecessary sequel. And he fact that Book of Shadows is all but forgotten, I can only hope another found footage entry to this series is dead in the water.

Whatever happens I can't see another film being green-lit for another decade or so.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  9. CPT HOOK

I completely agree, the science fiction elements introduced here spoil the franchise's rich mythology.

There was a series of three computer games based on the Rustin Parr, Coffin Rock, and Elly Kedward stories, basically serving as prequels, and they were excellent. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in the mythology.

The series of young adult novels The Blair Witch Files by Cade Merrill were also excellent reads for fans of the mythology. So many great possibilities wasted on a subpar sequel.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  10. Buechlers_beard

I knew of the computer games but never gave them a look.

Well said though. I feel.as though you succinctly expressed the intentions of my babble haha

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

blu-ray/dvd comes out jan 3rd

BLU-RAY/ DIGITAL HD SPECIAL FEATURES

• Audio Commentary with Director Adam Wingard and Writer Simon Barrett
    • Never Ending Night: The Making of Blair Witch (6-Part Documentary)
    1. “Primal Fear: Story Origins”
    2. “Ambiguous Loss: The Cast”
    3. “P.O.V.: On Location”
    4. “Trapped in the Time Loop: Editing”
    5. “Distorted Reality: Music and Sound Design”
    6. “The Reveal”
    • “House of Horrors: Exploring the Set” Featurette

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

• Audio Commentary with Director Adam Wingard and Writer Simon Barrett
    • “House of Horrors: Exploring the Set” Featurette

othervoice1 and Mok like this.
  12. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Disappointed to hear about the mixed reviews. Still watching it because I love Wingard.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Agreed, but I have to take the opinions of others with the "grain of salt" people keep talking about. Sometimes the worst-reviewed movies are a tremendous blast! Looking forward to catching this on rental.

MisterTwister likes this.
  14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I agree. I kind of knew it wasn't going to be the hottest shit in town due to Bloody Disgusting's ass kissing review.

15. CPT HOOK

I decided to give this sequel another try last night, see if maybe it hit me in the wrong mood on the first time around. I think I liked it even less than before. It's pretty boring. It really gives you nothing in regards to the characters. They have zero personality whatsoever, and the only thing we know about them is that James is the brother of Heather from the original. There are no good scares, no interesting mythology, and they pull back the curtain way too far on everything that was creepy about the original in order to make it as not creepy as possible. The only effective thing about the movie is the scene where Callie Hernandez crawls through the tunnel. That was very uncomfortable to watch. Terrible movie. I can't imagine I'd ever watch it again.

The nearly 2-hour making-of on the blu-ray is better than the movie. At the same time, I also found it incredibly depressing, watching these actors talk about how richly developed their characters are, or Simon Barrett talking about how clever his twists on the material are, or the DP talking about how much thought went into the cameras and cinematography when it just looks like any shit found-footage movie made for no money in someone's backyard, or the editor talking about how much work he put into crafting an effective jump scare, or the composers breaking down how much work and thought they put into the score of a music-less found-footage movie. Oh vey! The highlight of the doc is that it ends with the Comic Con reveal, showing how they pulled that off, and basically showing Wingard & Barrett's post-screening Q&A in its entirety. The Comic Con stuff was more interesting than the actual movie.

Zombie Dude and Myron Breck like this.
  16. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

This was just not a good movie. Barrett did a podcast this year ("Penning Terror") where he admitted that his script just followed a template laid out by the studio and that he did not get to be too creative with it. He thought that was a good idea at the time but afterwards realized that they had created a movie that did not really please anyone because it was too close in form to the first film.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

This movie was terrible. I remember being pretty excited when I sat down to watch it as they'd generated a lot of buzz for it and talked it up a lot. It definitely didn't live up to any of it. I agree with CPT HOOK that it feels just like any other shitty found footage movie and that the tunnel scene was the most intense part. I actually was planning on watching the original film soon as I've only seen it once.

Also there was a game released that looks very scary: