Arrow Video US / UK Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Arrow posted this rather tantalizing tweet:
    https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1094664804638154752/photo/1

It's creating some debate but at face value it's indicating that Arrow will be releasing the Universal Classic Monsters next year! Universal finished their cycle of releases with every complete set so there's nothing left for them to do. And Arrow has released The Incredible Shrinking Man and Shout is releasing the Karloff/Lugosi boxset of Universal titles too so this isn't so far fetched. Other classic Universal horrors are getting independent distribution in France, Germany, Spain and probably elsewhere. So the UK's not that different from what they're doing in the rest of Europe.

I'm very curious what someone like Arrow would do with fresh 4k transfers. I always felt that Universal was over compensating and that much more detail is there between the scratches and debris. But they'd have to loosen up on the DNR to reveal that and they don't seem too willing to do that. Arrow just might give us that more natural look. Hope springs eternal!

Workshed likes this.
  2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

gobad2003, Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Is the Phantasm box still available? I added it to my wishlist at amazon because it said that it was “temporarily unavailable”, but I’m skeptical. And then the price dropped by 25% down to about £39. It isn’t even listed on Arrow’s site anymore. If Amazon is getting more then I’d love to know from where.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm pretty sure it's officially sold out now as far as stock goes, since Arrow don't even list it on their website/webstore any longer. If it was only temporarily out of stock or something, they'd still have a listing up. But when their final stock sells out completely they just remove it from their website.

A couple of UK stores that ship to the USA do still have some listed as in stock:

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/phantasm-1-5-limited-edition/11396571.html

https://www.base.com/buy/product/phantasm-1-5-limited-edition-collection-blu-ray/dgc-fcd1390.htm

5. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

When the hell is the Django/Texas Adios issue gonna get fixed.... It would be nice to check it out.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Legal problems can often take a long time to resolve, especially when dealing with a foreign party as apparently is the case with the Italian licensor (not to mention Blue Underground also).

People seem to think that just because Arrow is forced to sit on their existing stock that a resolution will come about soon, but that's far from guaranteed.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Trapped Alive (Blu-ray)

A thrilling tale of escaped hoodlums and underground-dwelling cannibals from director Leszek Burzynski and Hellraiser producer Christopher Webster

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2XiwhVO
    Pre-order in the US via DiabolikDVD: http://bit.ly/2tB34rq
    Release dates: May 20/21

Genre regular Cameron Mitchell (The Toolbox Murders, From a Whisper to a Scream) stars in this thrilling tale of escaped hoodlums and underground-dwelling cannibals from director Leszek Burzynski and Hellraiser producer Christopher Webster.

One wintry night, pals Robin and Monica are making their way to a Christmas party when they’re carjacked by a gang of crooks recently escaped from the local penitentiary. With the two young women taken as hostages, things take an even darker turn when their vehicle plummets down an abandoned mine shaft, trapping them underground with the dangerous crooks - and a mutant cannibal.

Filmed in 1988 under the title of Forever Mine but not released until 1993, Trapped Alive was the first film to come out of Wisconsin’s now-defunct Windsor Lake Studios, which would go on to produce a number of films under the Fangoria Films label in the early-90s, including 1992’s Bruce Campbell-starring Mindwarp.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
    • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
    • Original mono audio
    • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    • Brand new audio commentary with director Leszek Burzynski
    • Brand new audio commentary with special effects artist Hank Carlson and horror writer Josh Hadley
    • Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
    • There’s EVIL Underground… - brand new making-of documentary featuring interviews with director Leszek Burzynski, cinematographer Nancy Schreiber, production manager Alexandra Reed and actors Alex Kubik and Sullivan Hester
    • Upper Michigan Tonight - 1988 television documentary on Windsor Lake Studios, featuring footage from behind the scenes of Trapped Alive and contemporary interviews with director Leszek Burzynski, producer Christopher Webster and production designer Brian Savegar
    • Leszek Burzynski: The Early Years - the Trapped Alive director discusses his early forays into genre movie-making
    • Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Zach Carlson

Workshed likes this.
  9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Man, I just got the complete blu-ray collection from Universal. I think I'm calling it quits on this one.

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

X-human likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Still no reviews for the Ring set? I'm curious to read up on it before it gets to me.

15. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The only thing I found so far, was this comment on the Blu-ray.com forum.

"Had a quick flick thru the movie and it looks INCREDIBLE. I'm usually there moaning about how these 1080p BDs don't quite do it for me any more, having been spoiled rotten by 4K UHD, but this BD is sensational stuff. Super-fine grain and detail (both of which soften a bit in the opticals) and the grading isn't the usual blow-it-outta-here Arrow approach, the highlights are nice and rounded without clipping too much. Goes without saying that the David M encode gets the job done."

Not sure yet if I get the boxset, since I really only like the first one. The sequels spoiled some of the mystery.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I just put my order in yesterday at Amazon. Arrow said they're all sold out of their stock at the Arrow store and only available at Amazon and Zavvi so get your order in if you want one. There is no way I was going to miss out on this one.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty great. I've actually never seen any of these Japanese Ring films so I'm pretty excited to dig into them.
    Oh I ordered the set off Arrow long ago :D

gobad2003 and Steel76 like this.
  19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

X-human likes this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost