Arrow Video expanding to North America

Discussion in 'General' started by zbinks, Oct 3, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ArrowVideo/posts/847572775276718

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/arrow-video-usa

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Oh please let this happen.

3. Franco

Franco Weekender

I wonder what the guys at Scream Factory would be saying... Or maybe you could say how do companies manage this in the US.

Isn't Arrow Video kind of the direct competitor of Scream Factory, or maybe more of Shout Factory a/o other companies that are releasing horror/cult movies? Do they associate exclusively with certain movie rights owners?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

They will definitely cannibalize each other with Arrow in North America. I like how it is now. Where if one company screws up a transfer, another one can pick up the slack with their own version. But imagine if Arrow was able to release Demons in both regions, that would keep Synapse from having put out their superior version. North America loves monopolies a la Amazon and Walmart though, so I can see this idea flying where eventually one company wins the majority of the rights. Everyone will then be stuck with their releases whether they are good or not.

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

The more companies out there the better! Better for the fans.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

This is an excellent point. Of course, this is only going to be an issue for those of us who went with a region-free player. and thus have the ability to choose the best releases from around the world.

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I don´t believe there will be two consecutive releases in the same region.

For instance, Price movies were licensed from MGM to Arrow in the UK and Shout in the US. How can MGM license to Arrow in the US what they already licensed to Shout?

Like the Burbs, it´s sub-licensed by Universal in the UK so that can make it´s way to the UK.

For me, they will only release stuff that hasn´t been licensed yet in the US, or that the original license holder is no more.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I think what he meant was: having two competing companies in the same region means that only one of them will get the rights, as opposed to the way it is now where both companies release their own versions in different regions. The way it is now, we get to pick which version/region we buy depending on PQ, extras, etc. LIFEFORCE is another great example.

9. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I'm not really all that infused by this announcement. I guess only time will tell if this is a good or bad thing. Personally, I like my Arrow here in the UK.

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

What you wrote here is what I meant. Thanks Myron! As far as the way it is now being only good for the region free, who cares? You can buy a machine for very cheap nowadays. When you amortize the $75 dollar cost of a region free machine over the course of every release you have bought, you pay very little to have the best release, regardless of region. My take is that if the issue of Arrow coming to the US is of any concern to someone as per the home market landscape, then they are region free, anyway. I am not a minimum wage earner and hate monopolies, yet the one time I did actually step into a Walmart was to buy a cheap Seikki. I don't have a $700 Oppo or anything fancy, either. So to me it is far cheaper than the aggravation in hoping that Arrow comes to the US at the cost of competing releases that has given us choice thus far. Not an attack on anyone, but if you are really want to have the best movie collection, this is the way to do it, and to keep Arrow in the UK so their releases will have compete with SHOUT! or Synapse. Frankly, they should be more concerned with 88 Films who so far sound like a force to be reckoned with on their home soil. So going to the US at this time reminds me of reading what happened when Hitler sent his army to fight in a Russian winter.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

We'll have to see what titles they announce. The last two years Arrow has been putting out the superior products over Shout or Kino. So having a cheaper more readily available version of Arrow titles stateside is overall a good thing.

However, from our perspective, they only really served as competition while operating in the UK. As competition stateside they only really come into play while snatching up titles instead of someone else. They may fill a void somewhere between Shout Factory and Scorpion/Code Red. That is if they remain at the same tier as over in the UK. It's a higher bidding pool here in the US. I don't know if they'll be able to chase quite so many high profile films over here.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Their main goal for distributing in two territories... the BEST technical presentation
    http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/arrow-video-usa-why-you-should-care-if.html

"Today we have announced our plans to enter the North American market to distribute our releases. ‘So what’, you might think if you live in the UK or Europe, but this is an important move for all our fans – and here’s why.

A key feature of our releases is their technical presentation. We pride ourselves on being able to work with the best versions of every film we release, whether these are brand new restorations we have instigated ourselves or masters created by our licensors. A constant challenge is ensuring this quality remains high and, on many occasions, we have had to turn down films because a master was not of a high enough standard. Thanks to our now distributing in two territories, that is about to change.

Making the decision to restore something from scratch, and shouldering all the costs involved in doing so, is not easy. With two territories to recoup those high costs it makes the possibility of restoring more films all the easier. So whilst we have faced difficult challenges in the past, particularly with masters made in Europe, we can now create brand new restorations of films where previously no HD or even suitable DVD-quality master has existed!

The first fruit of this venture will be found in Day of Anger, a classic Spaghetti Western starring genre icons Lee Van Cleef and Giuliano Gemma. Until now this film had only existed in ancient Standard Definition masters, but fans will soon be treated to a brand new and exclusive restoration struck from the original Techniscope negative. This film will be released in both the UK and USA in February 2015. More releases, and brand new restorations, will benefit from this new venture so keep an eye on our schedule for the latest updates!"

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Read that. While it makes sense, only an insider will know if that is the intention. Maybe it is just what is being said to hide the fact that the financial arm of this company just wants to increase its bottom line or not. Hard to tell. Weapons of mass destruction, human shields, things always get said to rally support but are not concrete in fact, necessarily.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Will it work that way though? I'm assuming they can only sell titles not currently owned by other companies here.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Which is fine with me, as it's another company on the landscape. We're greedy, let's admit it. When Shout announces their upcoming titles, the general response is "That's it?"
    We always want more. Arrow UK will continue to exist, to provide an alternative version to our stateside titles (Lifeforce was already mentioned, there's also Phantom of the Paradise, The Funhouse, and a ton of other titles that have full-blown special editions in both the US and UK). Maybe Arrow US will hit up titles we don't already have. That's a good thing.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think it's a good thing too. I think some are just confused as to whether we'll be able to buy from their UK lineup from the US store/company too.

17. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I wish them all the best and I think they're a great company.

However... I kinda like it the way it is now. I've got plenty of good deals buying Arrow UK releases because I didn't have to pay the VAT. With new genre blu's going for over $20 bucks each in some cases having some lower priced choices now and again is pretty awesome. There's a good chance we'd actually be paying more for their releases if they became US based.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/arrow-video-usa#activity

19. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Damn, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, now I really want this expansion to happen! :]

20. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Holy balls :spit: looks like they've raised over $66,000 already in 2 weeks and the $2500 option is already sold out, WOW people have some cash. Looks like they're going to make the goal no problem. I personally contributed on the $175 level, Can't wait to see what they put out. :evil:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014