Any Code Red release updates?

Discussion in 'General' started by gore, Oct 18, 2007.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Just Before Dawn re-release? Ronin Flix posted this today along with the caption: "Dawn is coming."

[​IMG]

2. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

The DF store opened a while after 3. I went on looking for Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker, as it was one of the rare titles originally advertised. Even though I was right on within minutes, there were only 3(!) Copies total and they had diasppeared almost instantly. After the dust settled, I had The Redeemer, The Strangeness and, because bundles were the only way to get the former, an extra copy of Screams of a Winter Night.

Not happy to have missed BBNM. My mission now is to find someone who has it but wants SOAWN a bit more

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I honestly can't understand the games being played with Screams of a Winter's Night. Why bother pressing a disc and then not put all your copies up for sale? You may end up getting higher prices from some people but others will be put off and not even buy it.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Just checked out the original theatrical cut of Screams of a Winter Night and was initially surprised at how much like my VHS it looked in terms of quality. Yes, it was brighter and crisper, but lots of damage and artifacts throughout, over saturation, etc. I was expecting something slightly better from the negative used. However, I accepted it as it was indeed better then anything out there and it finally made to Blu.

Then I decided to watch just the added 4th story, and was immediately impressed with how MUCH BETTER quality this cut was. Wow, looks great, so it was pure bonus for me - pleasant surprise. The story is fun and creepy - surprised they cut it from the original. The running time is just under 2 hours, so there’s a bunch of random footage added in between stories.

Love this release, super psyched, well done Bill.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Nabbed a copy of Screams this morning - which is currently only available in the High Octane bundle w/ Spontaneous Combustion (apparently limited to 25 bundles). There's still some left at this posting for those who want to nab a copy before it's unavailable again: https://darkforcesuperstore.com/high-octane-pack-blu-ray-code-red/

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  6. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I had a different reaction to the 4th segment, even though liked it overall. I found the monster FX to be so hokey that I though the main characters were going to be the victims of an elaborate prank, with a fake witch flying around on obvious wires, and then their tormentors were going to encounter the real witch later. Everything else works: the pace, atmosphere and climax.

As for cutting it, you've got your answer in the new running time--the distributors thought the movie was too long. And, if I remember right, in Nightmare USA, the director mentions that the day-for-night shooting didn't work well in this particular segment.

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Mine should be here tomorrow according to the tracking, not surprising since they sent it Media Mail. So much for that "faster than Amazon" shit they were always blurbing about before. :rolleyes:

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Hokey yes, but still a fun story. These stories are pretty silly to begin with, so it fits to me, but I'd say even slightly scarier.

I was wondering if perhaps the VHS cuts had a dark/blue filter because those filters don't seem apparent on the Blu Ray. Kinda like Humongous, and I bet BloodStalkers (if it ever comes out) will be the same way.

9. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

New Just Before Dawn release details:

https://www.facebook.com/theroninflix/posts/2350329864979960

"This re-release of Just Before Dawn includes the original uncut version from the internegative and the extended international cut (with new cleanup work).

The new disc features new interviews with cast members Gregg Henry, Jamie Rose, Chris Lemmon and producer David Sheldon. The older extras are carried over to this new disc.

This new edition will include a slipcover with the new artwork by Yannick Bouchard. There is no poster included.

This should be available in early March."

russweiss likes this.
  10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

MorallySound likes this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's not too surprising that the Uncut version looks a lot better...

Yeah it's rougher and unrestored from the negative, but the Theatrical Cut only takes up 7.33gb on the disc, and that's in full 1080p for a 91-minute film with a lossless audio track. It's macroblocking supreme.

The disc is only 41gb in size, so they could have pumped up the bit-rate on the theatrical cut somewhat.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Mutilated Prey likes this.
  12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

From Dawn of The Discs on Facebook:

"***FEATURES REVEAL***
    Code Red DVD deluxe edition blu-ray of "Just Before Dawn" (1981) is coming soon (early March), and will be available through Ronin Flix and DiabolikDVD.com.

The first 1500 copies will have a limited edition slipcover with the new custom art.

Features list:
    - HD master of both cuts with 2018 additional clean up.
    - Subtitled for the hearing impaired
    - BD50 dual-layered
    - Brand new on-camera interview with stars Gregg Henry
    - Brand new on-camera with star Jamie Rose
    - Brand new on-camera interview with star Chris Lemmon
    - Brand new on camera with producer David Sheldon
    - Vintage featurette featuring Brad Fiedel, Mark Arywitz, John Hunsaker, Jamie Rose, Chris Lemmon, and David Sheldon
    - Trailer"

13. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

This will be the 4th time I buy this movie, Once on dvd, First Code Red release, And the 88 films release :eek:

Katatonia likes this.
  14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Same for me and what's worse I haven't watched either of my blu-rays yet.

Katatonia and gobad2003 like this.
  15. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I've watched the Code Red blu but not the 88 version yet, Too many other movies yet in my unwatched pile.

Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I was in Savannah, Georgia yesterday and in Leopold's Ice Cream downtown they had a poster hanging for The Farmer.

If Sony is blocking Code Red from releasing it, then could Shout Factory possibly release it? They've been dabbling in Sony titles.

17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

If you want to sell the 88 film release you should get a few quid for it, it's now OOP and I've seen them go for a nice price recently.

gobad2003 likes this.
  18. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

I’m currently watching the restored version of Screams of a Winter Night and I’m noticing a very unusual screen wobble at the end of every single shot. I’ve never seen this with any other blu-ray and also haven’t heard of any similar issues from other reviews. At the end of each shot, the image moves up slightly. It’s stable during the shot but moves at the end of every shot. Has anyone else ever experienced this with this title or with any other?

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Are you watching it on a newer TV? Older? It may be an interlacing issue.

20. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

A newer 4K TV. I even paused and framed through a few of the scenes and there is definite movement and warping of the image at the end of the shot. I don’t really know how to describe it other than a stretching of the frame followed by the entire image moving up slightly. It’s so odd that it is at the end of every shot. I have to assume it’s some weird 4K player setting but I haven’t noticed it on any other BD I have ever played.