Answering your door for Trick or Treat this year?

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Sep 1, 2021.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to take a pass on passing out candy for Trick or Treat this year again. We didn't get anyone last year anyway. And it's looking like it might be like that again this year.

We are quickly running out of time with the vaccine. And booster shot time is coming up too.

What about you guys?

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

We didn't get anyone either, last year.
    Never got hit badly with covid in our town, so it's pretty much back to normal over here, thanks to most of us being vaccinated anyways.
    But I still don't expect kids knocking at our door this year.
    Might get some candy, just in case it happens though.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Trick or Treat is not a big thing here in the UK, Most years we get 1 knock or nothing, so I suspect it will be a nothing this year.

4. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I know some people are opting to fill a bowl with candy and leave it on their step with a sign telling kids to help themselves. This way you're still technically participating without coming into contact with anyone.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I live at the last house on a dead end street and have been here since 2004. We have never gotten a single trick or treater but we still put out candy just in case.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I hope I get Trick or Treaters this year. My Halloween isn't complete until I scare the shit out of at least one little kid

satans-sadists, Darga and Steel76 like this.
  7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

My location (apartment complex that isn't very kid friendly) and cultural bend of the region (large percentage of Asian techies and Hispanic blue collar) has always made Halloween visits sparse. I used to buy for at least 50 kids showing up, and put out decorations, then watched over the years as I went from barely half that number to at best 10. Year before COVID, I think had 3 groups of about 5 kids total. Last year, absolutely nothing.

I'm not bothering this year. Sad, really, given how much fun I had as a kid, and the sense of paying it forward to the next generations to have the same. But I'm starting to think the ritual is dying off, or at least regionally, beyond any COVID concerns.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll probably buy a bag of Twix (because I end up eating them all, so I might as well get something I like), and have my Bluetooth speaker looping the Suspiria soundtrack again, but in 10 years I still haven't had Trick or Treater #1. The entrance to my condo doesn't face the street.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There haven't been ANY trick or treaters here in at least 15 years. It was literally just like one year that they all stopped. All of the kids pretty much just go to the mall for their Halloween thing, so I doubt there are too many kids here in town that even know what real trick or treating is anymore.

I don't live in the boondocks either, it's a lively neighborhood... not too far from the mall though.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat where I haven't had a trick-or-treater in over a decade. My driveway is way too long, and I'm kind of out in the woods a bit. Don't really have neighbors.

11. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Like last year, we'll put out a bowl of stuff so kids can help themselves. My son is 3 1/2 so we'll be making the rounds to other neighbor's bowls. Last year some got pretty creative with chutes they could send the candy down to the trick-or-treaters.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I usually get anywhere from 60 to 100+ kids a year depending on the weather/day. Also, which is funny... depends on how decorated my house is too. Definitively anything with lights(not just the porch light), draws them in. Ha.

Last year, I didn't give out anything. Had my light off, nobody rang the bell. Only thing I had was a Scarecrow on the door. I didn't put my usual out last year.

But I definitely saw kids Trick or Treating. My neighbor who gave out candy said, about 15/20 kids she got.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Myron Breck likes this.
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

In my city there are trick or treat dead zones and I live in one of them. People have simply learned to gravitate to the neighborhoods that do still hand out candy, and those places are like street parties for the holiday.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

We put out a bowl last year and got some kids. Plan on doing the same this year. We always get Reese's, 100 Grand and Snickers and eat most of it ourselves :D

Natas likes this.
  15. ImmortalSlasher

In previous years, I noticed people driving over to my block with their kids for candy. I don't know where they are from. Every place I lived, I would walk the area.

16. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

This neighborhood is unincorporated, so we have no sidewalks, limited street lighting and narrow streets. You kind of take your life into your hands walking through the neighborhood after dark. I've lived here for 16 years and we've never had a particularly lively trick or treating scene, especially once the sun sets. Maybe 10 - 15 tops, almost none after dusk. We just got the house painted, so we'll be participating, but I have no real expectation of getting more than a few trick or treaters, if that.

17. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Halloween is a recent import here in Denmark. We already have a similar tradition called Fastelavn, in February, where kids dress up and go from door to door, asking for candy. Kids also attend parties where they whack a barrel with a club till candy spills out (much like a piñata). Centuries ago, there'd be a live cat in the barrel. Anywho, I like Halloween better, because Halloween has a stronger tradition for decorations. And because Halloween is traditionally associated with horror.

I like decorating for Halloween - it's like signaling to the neighborhood kids that they're welcome to come trick-or-treating. Don't want trick-or-treaters? Don't decorate. That would be the ideal scenario for me. I think we got maybe 20 or 30 trick-or-treaters in 2019.

At the moment, there are very few restrictions in Denmark. If the situation is as calm 8 weeks from now as it is now, I imagine I will be putting up the decorations and answering the door with individually wrapped candy ready.

18. ImmortalSlasher

I remembered a house on my old block. It was a scary house on a small hill. People had to live there I guess. It had big, dark trees on that hill which made the area seem gloomy all the time. The grass wasn't green and the lawn if you could call it that had weeds and dirt patches. At times cats were around. I never went up that hill to the house. I wish I had a picture of the house as it was torn down years ago. Even the trees were removed.

Anyways with the bowl in front of the house thing. Maybe in the old days or really good areas. These days I would be surprised if one or a group of kids either take all the candy. Or the candy and bowl.

The last Halloween in 2019, some kids were getting creative with the costumes. Some had lights and sounds. When I had a Darth Vader costume, it didn't have any lights or sounds.

baggio likes this.
  19. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Someone clearly did not think that idea through. Who wants to eat candy that's covered in scared cat shit and piss?

Or maybe the only thing in the barrel was the cat, and this was the regionally preferred method of tenderizing cat meat.

Still seems less like a well thought out idea, and more like someone had a real hard on for hurting cats.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That was like 400 years ago. There was no candy in the barrel. I think the cat was supposed to represent Satan or something. Definitely animal cruelty in the guise of religion.

Steel76 likes this.