Annabelle: Creation (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Currently schedule for May 2017 release.

fceurich39, Steel76, Mok and 2 others like this.
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I don't know why I'm drawn to these films, but this is already a day one blu-ray purchase.

Steel76 and Mok like this.
  3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Same here. I cannot wait. Looks so damn creepy.

Steel76 and buck135 like this.
  4. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Really didn't like the first Annabelle but from what I've heard, and going by that trailer, the sequel looks far superior to me. Theres something about cracking bones at the moment, and I'm loving the trend haha!

Steel76 and buck135 like this.
  5. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

I'll give it a shot. Not the biggest fan of the Conjuring/Annabelle films. They're OK. Watch once in the theaters, maybe catch on HBO or something but not buy worthy in my opinion.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The first spin-off Annabelle was horrible enough, but I guess "successful" box office numbers always trumps the need to continue something even if the vast majority of reviews and audience ratings clearly state it should not spawn a sequel. Hollywood loves golden turkeys, and seems like a lot of you do to which is fine if you want horror to continue down this road.

Hatchetwarrior likes this.
  7. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Why they're making a sequel to a crummy film that has already fallen into obscurity is beyond me. Giving credit where it's due, the premise is original and enough of an off shoot from it predecessor, but that teaser does nothing for me. I think I will pass.

8. Natas

The answer is simple: Total Gross: $84,273,813, domestically. Worldwide: $256,873,813. On a budget of 6.5 million. That's a serious return....... I highly doubt part 2 will be the end of the "franchise" either. Guess we gotta get used to this bitch :)

9. Harry Warden

To each their own, but I can think of hundreds of horror films that are a hell of lot worse than Annabelle. I actually liked the film and box office numbers don't lie. It's certainly fulfilling somebody's "niche" if it's grossing a cool $256 million dollars worldwide. Look at the original Blair Witch Project..grossed millions by it wasn't my cup of tea, but they made a sequel and yet another version of that film because money talks. I agree with Natas - this won't be the last but I for one like these golden turkeys.

10. Natas

Definitely......... I thought the first act with the two "cult members" broke into the young couples house was pretty creepy. I've actually put this on the television twice just to watch that sequence. Overall just not very memorable though. I had a decent time seeing it in the theaters, it creeped the wife out quite a bit which is always amusing lol.... But i'll probably wait till early reviews of the sequel tickle my fancy before making a decision to catch it....

11. MorallySound

The Blair Witch Project was at least an original movie, and an independent film that got picked up by a major studio with a budget for marketing. Annabelle was plain and simple an unoriginal cash-in spun off another horror film. Apples and oranges, yes, and people can like what they like but you can't not say that modern Hollywood horror is stale because the majority of material that is coming out are remakes, sequels, spin-offs, etc. There's rarely anything original coming out theatrically via the mainstream (Don't Breathe and Lights Out at least break the mold a little), and to me that's not cool, and the only way to break the cycle is for the audience to not support these "box office successes" theatrically that are the same ghost story/haunted doll/cracking bone sound effects over and over.

12. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Why would I stop supporting a genre that I enjoy?
    I love ghosts/hauntings/paranormal movies (except for Paranormal Activity), so I'm glad that the genre is doing well.
    It was the same in the late 70:s and early 80:s with the slasher craze. It was also the same thing over and over ;)
    But if you don't like them, just give it time, just as with the slashers, this genre will soon fade away, for something else to take over for the next couple of years.

othervoice1 and Harry Warden like this.
  13. MorallySound

I enjoy the paranormal sub-genre, and liked films like The Conjuring (the first anyway) and Insidious, it's just the cash-ins I find unoriginal and for the most part they are usually just not good films. I'm not saying don't support horror, I'm saying wait to check these out on Netflix or VOD so we can attempt to have more original horror films theatrically.

14. Harry Warden

Hollywood has been making sequels since the time of the Universal Monsters in the 30's and 40's and it has continued every decade since. There is always going to be spinoffs from horror films. Look how many films were spawned from the success of The Exorcist or Alien. Too many to count. Hell, the Hammer horror films were mostly remakes of the Universal films and they remain as popular as ever. The only difference was color, but they didn't excel in originality. The genre has never truly died. Maybe it slowed a bit at times, but Annabelle was a character (if you will) that has about 8 minutes of film time in The Conjuring and was a very creepy part of that film. I for one was thrilled that they filled in the backstory on that doll and made Annabelle. They could make 20 different films based on the Warren's room full of artifacts. Sure, I get tired of sequels too and the lack of originality, but I think that based on the sales figures of these films, you are in the vast minority. Don't Breathe is really not all that original. Check out See No Evil (1971) with Mia Farrow. The only difference between those films is that Farrow never becomes the antagonist, only the victim, but it doesn't take a lot of originality to say "Hey - let's make the blind man victim the aggressor".

Steel76 likes this.
  15. Steel76

Or it was the sci-fi horror movies in the 50:s, where a meteor/bomb/experiment released or created a big monster, usually in a small desert town, where the scientists had to work together with cops/military to stop the creatures. Once again basically the same thing over and over again, through the decade.
    Hollywood always took an successful idea, and then milked it for as long as they could.

Harry Warden likes this.
  16. Harry Warden

I love those 50's monster flicks. My favorite was THEM! Just watched it again the other day.

Steel76 likes this.
  17. Steel76

Yeah, it's great, especially the opening scene, and the climax in the sewers :)
    You can tell that James Cameron was very influenced by it, when he made Aliens.

18. Harry Warden

buck135 and fceurich39 like this.
  19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

So... it's just a teaser at this stage.

20. Harry Warden