Anna And The Apocalypse - Christmas Zombie Musical

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Jul 21, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Coming to theaters December 7th from Orion Pictures.

[​IMG]

In Anna and the Apocalypse, a zombie apocalypse threatens the sleepy town of Little Haven – at Christmas – forcing Anna and her high school friends to fight, sing and slash their way to survival with a fast-spreading undead horde in relentless pursuit.

Teaming up with her best friend John, Anna and her crew fight their way through zombified snowmen, a ravenous bachelor party and high school hormones to try and save family and faculty alike. But they soon discover that no one is safe in this new world, and the only people they can truly rely on are each other.

I have tickets to a midnight screening of this next month, the director will be there for a Q&A after.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  2. CPT HOOK

Screening is tonight at midnight!

Really looking forward to this!

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

I liked Anna And The Apocalypse a lot, but at the same time I wanted to like it more. Still, it's hard to fault a movie that's main purpose is to make you smile. It succeeded on multiple occasions there.

First off, this is definitely a musical. I'm not talking just a couple musical moments. Every 5 minutes or so, they burst into song. The music is quite good, especially "Hollywood Ending".

Where the movie somewhat let me down is the horror element. There are zombies and a few fun gore gags, but the horror to me felt pretty mild. And looking back, not a whole lot happens over the course of the movie. The apocalypse happens, and the main characters travel from point A to point B to point C, with about four or five points where they encounter zombies.

But the big thing this movie gets oh so right is that you genuinely care whenever a character is killed off. The deaths certainly pack an emotional punch, even if they lack a viscera one.

I'm someone who loves horror, high school movies, Christmas, and to an extent musicals. So for the most part, it worked for me. It's very entertaining as long as you keep your expectations realistic.

Oh, and seeing that Orion logo on the big screen. Love it! The director seemed really excited about that as well, as he exclaimed "that's before Robocop, Terminator, Silence Of The Lambs!" He seemed like a really big movie buff, and pointed out many of the references throughout.

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll see this when it comes out, but I kinda hate musicals apart from Phantom of the Paradise and Cannibal The Musical. Still, I'm always up for giving anything offbeat like this a shot. Wasn't this made a while ago? I've had this on my Letterboxd list for quite a while now.

5. CPT HOOK

The world premiere was at Fantastic Fest in fall 2017. They probably missed their Christmas release for 2017, and are holding it for December this year.

6. CPT HOOK

7. CPT HOOK

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Saw this Weds night at a local genre film fest that's running this week/weekend, it's fun but nothing amazing. Pretty standard zombie fare surround by musical numbers and a Christmas setting, although I did enjoy it's rather bleak tone.

9. CPT HOOK

Finally coming to DVD in the US on October 1st.

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like they're doing a blu-ray.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I tried watching this not knowing it was a musical and was horrified when the characters broke into song. I turned it off immediately lol.

I like some musicals but this felt so teeny, in an insufferable way.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

The DVD is now available. I saw it in store at Wal-Mart for $9.96, even comes with a slipcover.

However, Second Sight in the UK is releasing a 2-disc blu-ray edition full of bells and whistles on December 2nd. Best of all, it's a region free release!

Special Features and Technical Specs:
    • TWO-DISC EDITION FEATURING THEATRICAL AND EXTENDED CUTS OF THE FILM
    • Original short film 'Zombie Musical' written and directed by Ryan McHenry
    • Audio Commentary with Director John McPhail, Writer Alan McDonald, Composers Roddy Hart and Tommy Reilly
    • BRAND NEW documentary featuring new interviews with Actors Ella Hunt, Malcolm Cumming, Ben Wiggins, Marli Siu, Director John McPhail, Writer Alan McDonald, Composers Roddy Hart & Tommy Reilly, Producer Naysun Alae-Carew,
    • Behind-the-Scenes featurette
    • Alternative opening scene
    • Hollywood Ending with Cast and Crew
    • Deleted Scene
    • Edinburgh Film Festival footage
    • Gag Reel, Outtakes
    • Limited slipcover and lyrics booklet on initial pressing only
    • Optional English SDH Subtitles for the main feature
    • REGION-FREE

[​IMG]

I pre-ordered mine. Looking forward to seeing this again in December!

russweiss likes this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

13. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I thought it was okay. Like a much better horror musical, Poultrygeist, it kinda forgets it's a musical halfway through.