American Horror Story: 1984

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Watched the first episode, and I like it!
    ALL the clichés from the 80:s slashers, are included, with some obvious homages to F13 and Halloween.
    I have been waiting forever for a new camp slasher, and this season seems to deliver the goods :)

Hopefully they keep the body count high, and don't run out of steam before the end.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Certainly was a good stand-alone episode, but like others have already said, can they sustain it for 9 more episodes?

I've been blown away by AHS premieres in the past, only to have the season devolve into a Fleetwood Mac video

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Hey, I still stand by Coven being one of the more fun and enjoyable seasons from this series! :D

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Then you'll be in heaven when you see Apocalypse. There's like 3 full episodes of bickering about whether the kid from Murder House is the next Supreme or not. Compelling stuff, if you liked Coven.

(and for the record, I like Fleetwood Mac. Might have to turn in my punk rock membership card for that)

5. Zombie Dude

That's actually made me so excited! lol. I'll have to play catch-up asap.

Also, Fleetwood Mac is a great band. One of my favorites. There'll be no "turning in" of any other memberships for that ;)

buck135 likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Honestly, the Fleedwood Mac music video was the highlight of that season, which is easily the worst season AHS has done by far.

I'm glad they're getting back on track with this season, at least so far.

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode and I honestly really love the tone. Emma Roberts plays her character really well as this innocent (likely to be final) girl. It's like they fused the storylines of Friday the 13th and Halloween. I'm SO into that. Also Gus Kenworthy is hilariously bad but in a way that also really fits the tone of the show. How many bad actors appeared in '80s slasher movies? This is all part of the fun. He looks taller on the show than he is in real life lol, I ran into him and his (now ex) boyfriend at a pride party in Montreal last summer. Nice guy, tiny tho. Haha.

I just hope, like everyone else here, that they don't fuck up the ending like they so often seem to. The last full season I watched was also probably Coven, I stopped watching Freakshow halfway through, and the same with Hotel. I really enjoyed Cult and liked how they tied it into the current political climate. Haven't checked out Apocalypse but hearing now that there's a connection to Coven and Murder House I'm probably gonna go for it. Loved Murder House and Asylum, though. Those are 2 pretty solid seasons. I hope 1984 is the same.

Oh and yeah love me some Fleetwood Mac. I saw them about 10 years ago and they were amazing live. Stevie is a fucking goddess.

~Matt

buck135 and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. CPT HOOK

Loved episode 2 as well, but you can see the start of it going off the rails. It's not there yet, but it happens just about every season. It's only episode 2, and this summer camp slasher has already got
    multiple killers and a ghost running around.

Still, terrific season so far. It pains me that there won't be a blu-ray release, as Fox started going DVD-only with Cult onward.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I also have the UK Blu-ray of Cult, and have Apocalypse stuck in a pending Amazon UK order now (back from when it was cheaper than its current price).

Hopefully this one will get a UK release as well, since a US release is entirely improbable from Fox/Disney at this point. I'm still waiting on Fox to release Fargo - Season 3 somewhere on Blu-ray... it's just perplexing that DVD is still so prevalent in the USA and the de facto format of certain studios for TV season releases.

buck135 likes this.
  11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Are blu-ray slowly dying in the US?
    Seems to be a lot of releases, that only gets a DVD release now.

Watched the second episode of 1984, and it was just as fun as the first. :)

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't think the format is necessarily dying any faster than the other physical formats, it's more just the studios being cheapskates. It's stupid that Fox themselves are releasing region-free AHS Seasons in the UK & Germany, but not also in the US. Is it cheaper for them to only release them only in Europe or something? I don't know...but it forces US fans to import them.

Then again, there are also many finicky stupid people out there. I have actually seen people post on other forums that they do not care if "imports" are region-free and will play fine for them...they simply won't buy them regardless.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Fox scaled back their TV shows to DVD only a couple of years ago. Feud: Bette and Joan is available on streaming only. Now that Disney owns Fox, I don't see this trend changing.

14. CPT HOOK

Still loving it. Especially the "Rebel Yell" intro to this week's episode!

If they can stick the landing, this might be my favorite season yet!

15. Zombie Dude

I know this isn't related to this current season, but there doesn't seem to be thread for every season so I'll just comment here.

I finally got around to watching Cult and quite frankly I hated it for the most part. I just wasn't interested in most of the characters and found the theme to be a bit dull. The ideas on how a Cult could form and grow were interesting but the season as a whole felt kind of padded for what it was.
    Also, this must of had the least amount of staple actors of the series returning, and I hated what they did with the ones that did. I was still intrigued enough to finish it (just), but this season goes straight to the bottom of the list for me.

Started Apocalypse (2 episodes in) and so far I love it. This season has me far more interested so far with its themes and characters. It's made me excited for this show again.

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

1984 is good, but I think the slasher element is done now, along with any scenes that take place in 1984 (current timeline is 1989)

Horrorphilly likes this.
  17. CPT HOOK

That season is about to nosedive. It was my least favorite season.

Once the Rolling Stones song kicks in, just stop the season there.

18. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

I'm hoping your wrong, they're going back to the camp. The season did dip IMO with all the twist and turns AHS is known for, but im a trooper so I'll stick it out till the end.

19. Zombie Dude

It actually just got even better for me. I'm absolutely loving this season (as is my wife). Just finished ep 6 last night and I'm really loving the way they're tying things together. This is 100 times more interesting to me than Cult. Plus I enjoy the little bits of humour here too.

buck135, Steel76 and loutoad23 like this.
  20. CPT HOOK

Tonight is the season finale.

Honestly, they could have ended this with episode 5, but I'm having fun anyway. Definitely one of their better seasons.