40 YEARS OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, May 9, 2020.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Happy 40th to the greatest slasher franchise of all-time!

Probably gonna watch the original later on today to celebrate. Got this bad boy framed last year and it’s one of my most prized possessions:

[​IMG]

Let’s see everyone’s Friday memorabilia!

~Matt

Nailwraps, Rocker10, x666x and 7 others like this.
  2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I love that poster - I have one of those inserts, too. I got it in 1983 and I, horror of horrors, put thumbtacks in it so I could hang it on my wall. I never got a replacement or a back up copy, either. I doubt I'll find one in 2020 for $10, lol.
    Oh - thanks for the May 9th Anniversary announcement! I am devoting today to that film.
    Last Friday was May 1. The release date of Part 2 in 1981. For some reason, I ended up watching 3 and 4 instead even though I had Part 2 and MY BLOODY VALENTINE (the co-feature at drive-ins) on tap to watch.
    Now - where's the pizza, beer, wings...fries, popcorn...

Matt89 and Natas like this.
  3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

That poster is awesome!!! I love the frame. Mine is so over due for a frame.....I've had it since high school. It's been taken down and put back up in probably 8 houses/apts.

IMG_20200509_1204524.jpg
    IMG_20200509_1205200.jpg
    IMG_20200509_1205025.jpg

Just a couple Jason related pieces I have on display. I just got that mask last week with some Amazon credit.

I also plan on watching the original Friday the 13th tonight. Uncut on blu!!

Matt89, gobad2003 and Myron Breck like this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

IMG_0261 2.jpg

Was able to attend the get-together at Camp No-Be-Bo-Sco last year--what a treat. Definitely watching this again today.

wago70 and Matt89 like this.
  5. Do you see

Do you see Member

Definitely my favorite franchise. The Original Paramount releases are the ones I love most, but I do have a certain amount of love for each chapter in the series. I look forward to the rights issue being settled so we can get another chance to see F13th return with new installments. I echo the statements of others who will be watching part one today. Stay safe my friends!

Myron Breck and Matt89 like this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have the Japanese poster for the original Friday up on my wall. Over the years I've got 20 different theatrical posters for the first film.

My Collection 3.JPG

Matt89 likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

If you ain't in high school or college, there's no reason to have unframed artwork on your wall. GET TO IT ALREADY!
    A good framer will be able to hide some of the damage on the edges. It'll so be worth it.

Matt89 and Mutilated Prey like this.
  8. wago70

I wish I had been keen on collecting original newspaper clippings in 1980 (I didn't start the hobby until 1981 when Blood Beach was released in January) but this is an item I purchased a few years ago on Ebay. I don't have any regrets, either. How much? I can't recall but it was under $120 I think...anyway here a link since my photo hosting accounts are not availables:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/best-friday-13th-cult-classic-film-1883711750

Myron Breck likes this.
  9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I also have that poster! Also an original. Bought it around the time I bought the insert poster. Planned on getting it framed this year. Love the international art for it, the axe hitting the pillow is just great.

~Matt

10. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oooo, thanks for the heads up on this anniversary! Always love an excuse to watch some F13’s!

[​IMG]

Original one-sheet with simple black metal framing under UV protected glass.

@Natas - I’m going to assume yours isn’t an original and lacking care because its missing the jargon along the bottom middle. And if it is an original you best get it under glass ASAP!

Matt89 likes this.
  11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Far from original! It's old and beat but again, no excuse for lack of frame at this point. I have a bunch of others framed.....just never got around to this one.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  12. russweiss

I had a similar ad from the San Diego newspaper which I cut out back in 1980. I always liked it because it had that splash of color. From about 1978 through the 80's I cut out horror movie ads. Unfortunately, I was young enough at the time that for the first few years I wrote the date on the front of the ads.

Friday the 13th 1 lobby Newspaper Ad 1.JPG

wago70 and Matt89 like this.
  13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

There’s a torrent site called MySpleen and someone just uploaded a huge folder of jpgs of an endless collection of original F13th newspaper ads from 1980 up until 2009. Really cool to look at, I’ve been going through them all morning.

~Matt

14. russweiss

I've got ads from the first five films but nothing after that. By that time I had moved out and no longer looked at the newspaper.

Friday the 13th 3 lobby Newspaper Ad.JPG

Matt89 and wago70 like this.
  15. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I have a 11 x 17 poster of the original signed by Adrienne King and Betsy Palmer from a 2008 con I went to. I would post a picture but I can’t get it to load onto the site.

wago70 likes this.
  16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Love me some Friday. Over the last handful of years THE NEW BLOOD has really grown on me and it's usually my go to when I want a quick fix from the series. I popped that in last night for the anniversary. Always such a shame that the MPAA butchered a film with effects by one of the godfathers of gore but there is still so much to love between Tina as a final girl, two of the best non-Jason anti-villains in Melissa and Bad News Crewes, Hodder's injection of physicality into the Jason role, Fred Mollin's "new" take on the series with the industrial sounds, still some of the best kills even with the cuts (Melissa's axe-face-throw and the sleeping bag), the best stuntwork in the series proper, A Little Touch Up Work My Ass, and the purity of the film being the last at Crystal Lake where everyone's just partying and getting offed the old fashioned way. Love it all. A NEW BEGINNING has really risen in my rankings over the years too, so sleazy, wild and fun. If any of them have fallen it's 3 - there are a lot of iconic moments in the film that I adore, but it's really clunky and overlit for the 3D effect. It could easily trim a good 10 minutes (all the grocery store, old weed couple, biker gang stuff just bogs things down, especially in that first act). I'm happy with any Friday (besides the "Remake") though, I just wish everything wasn't so tied up in legal troubles so we could start getting some new content.

I have all the US theatrical one sheets from 1-8 (including the I<3NY teaser) and rotate them out throughout the years. Don't worry, Paff, they're all framed!

baggio, Matt89 and wago70 like this.
  17. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My favorite horror franchise and the one that helped get me hooked on the genre. Unfortunately I watched them so much on VHS that I don't revisit them too often anymore. If the rumors of a new Blu-ray boxed set are true I'll rewatch them all for sure.

18. wago70

So - for the first time ever, I watched: Part 1 with AND without the commentary (including the extras and as many Youtube videos showing fans re-visiting the filming locations. It really was a Friday the 13th celebration for me.
    Then I watched: Parts 4, 5, 6 and 7 with their commentaries. I had those DVDs since original release just sitting there! Still sealed, too. It's been a great celebray for me.
    I'm saving Part 2 (and it's official co-feature MY BLOODY VALENTINE) for another celebray: the final Thursday of its popular run. This date is May 14th. why? the nerd in me remembers that HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME opened on May 15th and dethroned FRIDAY PART 2 from the big screen at our local multi-plex. It's the Friday the 13th nerd in me, lol.
    I'm saving Part 3 for a later date - I have been watching that on cable (Epix, I think) several times recently so...no hurry there.
    Otherwise it's been a great little celebray - all couped up in a studio apartment in San Francisco. Looking at all my newspaper ads it's just heartbreaking how many of those movie houses no longer exist.
    One fun ad I have is of HALLOWEEN during its 1980 re-release in October. If you caught the final showing of Halloween, you can stay and see the Special Midnight Program which was FRIDAY THE 13TH for no extra charge. Now, c'mon - how cool was that!

Matt89 and Natas like this.
  19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I enjoyed a couple cold Budweisers and a few joints for the first Friday the 13th the other night, uncut on blu ray....... Always a treat. Excellent horror movie. BUT....no Jason, so I only revisit this one every few years......where I watch parts 3, 5, 6, 7 a few times each year, at least.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'm loving reading everyone's comments here and seeing all the memorabilia. :D

Like Rhett, I've also grown to liking The New Blood a lot more in recent years. I had no idea until I watched it again recently that the scene where the girl is thrown through the window in the attic was shot entirely in the Jarvis house from The Final Chapter.

~Matt